Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Just broke my Sand Scorcher... 12 years 10 months ago #1416

nice fix

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by bird_house.

Re: Just broke my Sand Scorcher... 12 years 10 months ago #1417

Thanks Lars, I warmed it up a little with a lamp and massaged it roughly back into shape. I used strong super glue to put the piece back in and trimmed it as close to the original shape as I could with a sharp blade. Glued from both sides and it's very strong. With all the paint removed from the area, I wiped some car body filler over it then sanded that back with fine paper to get the original shape back. Then I brushed several coats of the paint over the repair and when that was dry, wet sanded it with a tiny sanding block that I made to remove any lumps and bumps and polished it up by hand for a shine. That's it, done. Looks pretty good too. Almost the same way you would fix a real car, just on a tiny scale.
Attachments:

Re: Just broke my Sand Scorcher... 12 years 10 months ago #1422

That is a good lookin controller. Will have to look into 2.4ghz for sure

Re: Just broke my Sand Scorcher... 12 years 10 months ago #1425

Nice repair job mate! B)

The radio system bird_house linked is the same as HK-GT3B
It uses HK GT-2 receivers.

The HK-310 is the ducks guts of inexpensive controllers. Has heaps of features.
The receivers are HK-3000 , a few dollars more though.

If you can find what you want in the Aussie warehouse, they ship up to 2kg in weight for the minimum shipping price.

Can get a couple of cheap LiPos for no extra shipping cost. ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: sjh70

Re: Just broke my Sand Scorcher... 12 years 10 months ago #1429

Hopefully there won't be a next time but epoxy putty could also be very helpful with this kind of damage...

Can get a couple of cheap LiPos for no extra shipping cost.

You might now this of course but you'll need some special gear (esc - charger) to run Lipo without problems... ;)

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Just broke my Sand Scorcher... 12 years 10 months ago #1445

I used an epoxy putty called "selleys plastibond" on the Lunchbox roof and it has started to crack, might be because i used araldite epoxy glue on the repair. Just a little hairline crack and that wont matter because its just going to sit on the shelf but still annoying. What I do know is that the super glue and car body filler I used on the Sand Scorcher incident looks as if it will survive a nuclear blast. Maybe theres epoxy glues and putties that are better than others also...

Re: Just broke my Sand Scorcher... 12 years 10 months ago #1448

epoxy putty could also be very helpful with this kind of damage...

Sounds like you don't really need any advise when it comes to the body shop. ;)

Re: Just broke my Sand Scorcher... 12 years 10 months ago #1451

No mate, I'll always listen to any advice and then decide for myself. There's always the chance that someone does it better than the way you think is right. Also, I havent really stuffed around with plastic before so i'm keen to hear what has worked for other people. My Lunchbox repair is ok but not as good as the Scorcher, different glues and putties. I'm going to be doing a major repair on an original Buggy Champ body when it arrives so I think I will use the same method as what I did on the Scorcher. The whole roof is snapped off across the back. I've got a couple of reissue bodies for it but would rather have a repaired original than a perfect reissue.

Re: Just broke my Sand Scorcher... 12 years 10 months ago #1454

I have not tried this myself (just read a build thread) but there is a goodie named Tenax.
Don't think it is even 'legal' anymore in my country but this stuff will even dissolve styrene so you can make an incredible filler with this to smooth out and glue the shell.
Trying it out on a small piece of the intended plastic might be advisable though... ;)

Re: Just broke my Sand Scorcher... 12 years 10 months ago #1490

Great repair job there chap, you have blended it well.
Looking forward to seeing your next project.

GING

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.