Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

TA01/TA02/Manta Ray etc longer drive axles 3 years 1 month ago #64929

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here!

I've got a Tamiya TA01 Toyota Celica GT Four Rally, and the wheels are swamped by the wheel arches as standard. I bought some 5mm longer drive hexes, but sadly the axles are now too short. Does anyone know of a part which is basically identical to tamiyabase.com/...1-12595074 but with at least a 5mm longer thread?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TA01/TA02/Manta Ray etc longer drive axles 3 years 1 month ago #64930

I'm not aware of such a thing existing :(

The usual "fix" to filling arches to that extent is to use aftermarket wheels with positive offset. Thicker hubs and/or thinner nuts only really work on lesser offsets, as you've found :( If you've got any thread protuding at all you could try M4 half locknuts?

I had a set of Tamiya Frog 12mm rear hex adaptors, they used up a lot of the thread so Tamiya used thinner locknuts that didn't go on far enough to properly (or at all, IIRC) engage the nylon part - if a bodge like that was considered good enough to release, I can't imagine they did it properly in any form TBH.

If you look at the ebay listing below (just an example), these are much longer at 15mm (but still the shortest of the type AFAIK) hex extensions - but the nut that holds the wheel on is interesting. I think you'd have to drill out your hubs (and possibly the wheels too) and shortern the threaded parts of those wheelnuts, but it might work?

TBH I think your best, least invasive option, using the original wheels & the least modification, is going to be slightly narrower hexes, thin nuts & live with the fistable arches, at least they'll be slightly better :)

TA01/TA02/Manta Ray etc longer drive axles 3 years 1 month ago #64931

Yeah... ah that's annoying.

There is a tiny bit of thread sticking through the wheel (1-2mm) but the nuts I have won't get any purchase on the thread. Thinner nuts might work, but the ones you posted are locknuts which are designed to lock against an existing nut. I would imagine narrower nyloc nuts probably don't exist, and even if they did there wouldn't quite be enough hex sticking through. I've searched for wheels with a bigger offset, and there are plenty around, just none that look like OZ racing wheels from circa 1990. I have some Tamiya Rally Dish wheels that look similar but they have a 0 offset.

I could try maybe a 7mm drive hex instead of the 10mm I have, and that would probably work, but it's annoying as I've already bought the 10mm ones, and they are the right width to make the wheels fit the arches properly.

one thing I did consider was drive cups that are just longer and then I can cut them to length and use a die on the end to cut a thread in the end... but it's a lot of messing about and I couldn't be sure the hole for the drive pin would end up in the right place.

Last edit: by MarJay.

TA01/TA02/Manta Ray etc longer drive axles 3 years 1 month ago #64936

There is such a wheelaxle, the 50808 TG10 Rear Wheel Axle.

Also there is another solution to move the wheel outwards to the wheelarch.
In the crawler comunity some of them use wheelnuts that is called barrel nuts.
These have open end on them usually, but they can also be closed.
Barrel nuts comes in varity of lengths, and with or without wheelhexes, depending on your need.
I have used barrel nuts on several of my builds.
The wheelhex need to be drilled out to 5mm so do the wheel center to be able to pass through the wheelnut.
With barrelnuts the wheelaxle threads does not need to protrude the wheels to be able to mount them up.

Btw some old inhouse doors used to have barrel nuts in the door key holder, and some happens to be M4 like wheelnuts.
At least norwegian house doors used to feature these.
The barrelnut may have to be cut down to be able to clamp down the wheel. The wheelnut can not be longer than from the face of the wheel down to the pin for the wheelhex.

I can post up picture of such barrel nut if you need to have a idea how they fit.

Asiatees had good selection of 12mm wheelhexes (diameter of the wheelhex head facing the wheel) in assorted widths and barrel nuts last time I checked.

Here is my SCX10 scale rig.
As you can see the threads on the wheelaxle does not protrude past the wheel, so I needed a barrelnut to be able to reach the threads.

This one of the solutions to get the wheel to poke further out in the wheelarch.
Others is to fit wheels with more negative offset, wider wheelhexes are a combo of those.

Last edit: by caprinut.

TA01/TA02/Manta Ray etc longer drive axles 3 years 1 month ago #64943

Aha the 50808 might well be perfect because the dimensions of the inner part are the same, it's just the threaded part is longer. That's probably what I'm looking for, thanks! :)

TA01/TA02/Manta Ray etc longer drive axles 3 years 1 month ago #64947

yup tg10/wild willy 2 wheelaxle will make it a lot wider.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.