TOPIC:

Batteries 13 years 3 months ago #419

• Rick_M
  • Rick_M's Avatar Topic Author
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Hi Peeps :)

A quick query re-batteries.

I know that most batts for r/c are 7.2v. I've also seen 8.4v as well. Can I use a more powerful battery safely in a 1/10 car/buggy, or are the electrics only designed to use 7.2v?

Thanks guys :cheer:

Rick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Batteries 13 years 3 months ago #422

Hmm, not my strong point, but here goes...
Most older motors are for 7,2V only, but some claim they all will run fine on 8,4. Some motors are designed for 8,4 as well.
Use the Motor Section for info.

You should check the receiver for a BEC (battery eliminator circuit). I beieve most receivers will accept 8,4 Volts, as long as they have BEC, but don't hold me to it :laugh:

Any "RC-electricians" that can help?

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Batteries 13 years 2 months ago #505

Here goes... Standard 27turn 540S motors are rated for up to 12Vdc. If you use a mechanical speed controller, you can use any voltage up to this as far as the motor's concerned, but be aware that the higher voltage (&/or current) you feed into the motor, the more damage could potentially be done if you 'stall' the car (eg thrash it up against a brick wall or get it tangled in grass etc). If you're using an electronic speed controller, check the manufacturer's data sheet/instructions for its maximum ratings, & don't exceed them cos it'll fry it. MOST modern receivers have a battery eliminator circuit (BEC) in them, & MOST of these eliminators will be based around an LM7805 chip (5v regulator) which SHOULD stand up to 12V - if you're up to it, open the case & look at the chip numbers to check. Some of Tamiya's cars from around the Hotshot era (ie just before BEC receivers appeared) used a modified on/off switch which was fitted with this regulator (I've also seen some that were fitted with a transistor regulated circuit & I'm not sure what these could cope with). If you're unsure about anything, just don't do it! As always with dealing with more electrical power, make sure your wiring is all correct & in good order, to prevent the possibility of fire related damage/injury. Hope that helps

Re: Batteries 13 years 1 week ago #790

guys that build robots often use motors from cordless drills if
using a 14v drill motor they often run it on an 18v battery to get more
speed.. like anything else though if you run it over its rated value
don't expect it to last forever :-)

Look on youtube for kids electric car customizing dad's put higher voltage
batteries in them and they go like stink and wheelspin etc ...

Re: Batteries 13 years 1 week ago #796

Hi,

I'd like to add one more thing. Saw some pretty good answers already.
But a 8.4V battery will probably be bigger than a 7.2V also.
Depending on what car you're driving, you might not be able to fit it.
I know that it would not match a TA01 chassis for example.

:whistle:

Re: Batteries 12 years 11 months ago #1018

Love the comedy arcing in the video.... Yep, that's safe enough for the kids, maybe I'll try running it off the mains.... OR perhaps it's the old flux capacitor kicking in & all badword will break loose if it gets past 88!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.