Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Astute 13 years 2 months ago #438

Hi all
I have just finished my runner Astute but I am after a bit of reasurance on the gear box!
I would like to put 13.5 brushless in it!
has anybody used a brushless set up before on something that has just a ball diff and no clutch?????????
Thanks in advance
si

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Astute 13 years 2 months ago #443

Hi Si,
I hvae not tried a brushless in an Astute, but my eyes wet by the thought of it... :laugh:
Please be careful whatever you decide!

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Astute 13 years 2 months ago #504

Am I right in saying the Astute had the same diff as the Kingcab? - had a 'Revenge of the monster' 27t in mine & just could not get the diff to stand it! Someone suggested using ceramic balls in the diff to cure it, but I never tried it. I suspect the plastic diff housing would deform long before you got enough 'squish' on the balls to make it bite

Re: Astute 13 years 2 months ago #592

Yes the Astute and King Cab have the same diff. While the King Cab is harder in the diff due to its oversize tires, its still not all that strong in the Astute. The center diff gear is tiny and can melt but more often this is brought on by the weak diff housing sides. The housings can bend and deform when overtightened no matter how many diff washers are installed. Tamiya essentially ditched the ball diff altogether for the upgraded Super Astute version of the car instead opting for a reliable gear diff teamed with a slipper clutch.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.