Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Monster Beetle motor help please 13 years 2 months ago #502

Hi everyone. I've just bought a stock monster beetle. I'm looking to upgrade some parts such as fitting an electric speed controller, and replacing the stock 540 silver motor.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best motor that will give me a good increase in top speed, but without the car pulling wheelies all the time, and without me having to replace most of the stock components (i will be changing the bearings). A few people on other forums have recommended the Orion SV2 21x2. Would a 21 turn motor be too powerful?
The orion also comes in 23 turn.

Are there any other motors that would be suitable?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Monster Beetle motor help please 13 years 2 months ago #503

All I can say is make sure the gears are all in very good condition, ballrace the gearbox & carefully shim the gears to get rid of any endfloat, particularly the diff - right from the days of the Frog, these gearboxes are very weak & the monster beetle's huge wheels put a lot more load on it. I've seen frogs raced with modified 19's in, (Back in the 80's) which survived for a few meetings, but I wrecked 2 gearsets in my monster beetle doing donuts on a wet lino floor with a standard motor in it, so be warned...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.