Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Electronic speed controllers, servos & receivers 13 years 2 months ago #588

I'm currently restoring a 20+ year old monster beetle. I',m looking to replace the mechanical speed controller with an electronic one (probably the mtroniks viper 2 eco 20). The following may sound like a stupid questions (but i am new to vintage rc.

I know i need a servo to activate the steering. The old mechanical speed controller connected to the speed servo using a rod. Do i need a servo if i'm using a new ESC?

Would standard acoms servos be ok, or do i need special servos to run with the viper speed controller?

Can anyone recommend a receiver, and will this work with my ESC?

Would an acoms controller/servo/receiver package (on ebay for around

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Electronic speed controllers, servos & receivers 13 years 2 months ago #589

Not a stupid question at all! I remember wondering about the same when I started up with modern electronics :)

An ESC does not require a servo as well. The ESC plugs directly into the receiver (in the "throtle servo port")
Tamiya makes the TEU101BK and 104BK which I think is good value for money if you are running a mild motor (max 23 T)

Acoms is a well know make of radio equipment, so I assume any system you would get from them would be ok. (get one made for RC cars)

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Electronic speed controllers, servos & receivers 13 years 2 months ago #605

Just a mild concern - will a TEU101BK be up to powering a monster beetle? - Tamiya usually warn against using that controller in big wheel or high load stuff (It's only rated for stock 27 turn motors as well). I tried running one in my High lift & it really didn't like it! Nice smooth ESC though, might try some heftier FETs in one

Re: Electronic speed controllers, servos & receivers 13 years 2 months ago #610

I've been looking around and am thinking of getting the mtroniks viper eco 20 speed controller. I think it can handle a motor down to about 17turns, so should be more than good enough. The motor thaat i have my eye on is an orion 23 or 21 turn. Would a 21 turn be too much for the monster beetle? And although i'll be fitting full ballbearings, i hope my gear box can take it. Any thoughts?.....

Re: Electronic speed controllers, servos & receivers 13 years 1 month ago #714

Only thoughts are: putting uprated motors in monster beetles never turns out well - the diff is too weak (Semi-abusive use with a standard motor will destroy them). Don't bother with Orion motors - I've got 2 fried ones on my bench (21t & 23t) & neither have done any work! The best 'cheapy' tuned motors I've had have been the ones in the flat-sided 'Epic' labelled cans (eg Revenge of the monster). They seem to be quite powerful for a 27t & behave more like a modified. You can also take them apart for cleaning/repair/modification - I replaced an armature in one with a 21t & it's mental... not much help for monster beetles though

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.