Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bigwig parts quest 12 years 3 weeks ago #8792

I am buying up parts from E-bay to build a new Bigwig. I have most parts but finding difficulty in getting the last few. Its been a few weeks as i ahve been away, but I need some black wheel axle things (not the dog bone drive shafts, the parts that go through the hub) some beval gears, and the thrust bearings.

I brought a SuperShot to rob parts from but I like that too so now need to still buy the parts (and probably some replacement parts for the Supershot)

These seem to be comon parts to the Boomerang and Hotshot and others but they seem to be rare. I have only been using E-bay since late last year and also my search skills on Google are weak. I usually just check various e-bay sellers who I have made favorites and see if they have stock.

Hay Ewe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Bigwig parts quest 12 years 3 weeks ago #8800

Hi Hay, I'd say your first task is to hunt through the manual & parts lists to find the proper part number for the drive cups, then compare it with the part numbers listed for re-releases of various models, this will probably improve your chances. It might be worth having a look on Ebay UK in the RC section as a lot of the power sellers will ship abroad. I usually manage to source rare stuff from Time Tunnel Models, & if you're really desperate they can get stuff from Japan (Long wait & high price though). Personally, if Ian't find simple bits like that I usually make them, if I've got something to copy - do you know someone with a lathe? - maybe this could be an option too?

Re: Bigwig parts quest 12 years 3 weeks ago #8806

The reissues seem to not be a match with the vintage parts.
That would have been convenient because they use the common TG10 wheel axles.
But here are some originals in silver at least :

The other part number (black) is 2595012 or 9805113. :y:

Edit - I realize this might not be all too useful. :S

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Bigwig parts quest 12 years 3 weeks ago #8811

The re-issue parts aren't compatible? - any idea what's different? (Could it just be different part numbers for the same thing?). Thinking about the Hotshot, if the wheels, gearboxes & suspension fell out of the same mould as the original, I would've thought they'd use the same cups & shafts. Maybe that's a way around it - use the whole cup/shaft assemblies? I'd lay money that cups from another model would fit - as far as I've seen, most use 1150 bearings in the hubs (Meaning 5mm cup shaft) & most of the driveshafts will fit in other cups (Just the length is wrong usually), so I'd say the only important thing is the position of the cross drilling relative to the cup bit?
If you have an original, have a measure & post a dimensioned pic & lets all have a look to see if we own anything similar on another model

Re: Bigwig parts quest 12 years 3 weeks ago #8814

The re-issue parts aren't compatible? - any idea what's different? (Could it just be different part numbers for the same thing?)

Doesn't look like it just a different part number...
Bearings are the same but the cup is slightly bigger and the length is also different.
Thinking it could work though if you'd also replace the knuckles?

Attachments:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Bigwig parts quest 12 years 3 weeks ago #8820

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the size of the bits from the manuals, they're not drawn to scale (Been caught like that already). A giveaway is the difference in size between the black & silver Bigwig cup pics (Compare SA4 & SA5), or are they really physically different in real life? It's likely that the hole up the middle is the same for MR14 & Bigwig, the OD being bigger due to thicker cup wall? To my eye, there doesn't look like much difference between SA4 & MR14, & if we're putting Hotshot cups in a Bigwig, they should be ok cos they're smaller, as long as the driveshaft balls are the same, IF we go by the pics.
What we need is some real life dimensions

Re: Bigwig parts quest 12 years 3 weeks ago #8825

HI!... I have several BIGWIGS and if you can, run the axles with the rounded (at the bottom) DOGBONE SLOT. The square slotted ones tend to break. Half the cup will break off if you put any real power to them or drive the car on asphalt alot.
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou

Re: Bigwig parts quest 12 years 3 weeks ago #8828

Aha - the most important detail! Missed that one...
Does that mean they are indeed interchangeable with the TG10 wheels axles? :huh:

Re: Bigwig parts quest 12 years 3 weeks ago #8829

Hay
Thanks for your help and feedback. I hope this hasn't gone off topic too much.

I made an error when I said that I had a problem finding Wheel Axels. I said i needed Silver but its actully the black ones I need, p/n 2595012. I have a Supershot that I shall strip down and see if I can work out a difference, if not, I shall use silver ones.

Also I need 4 Gear box joints p/n 2595013.

I am suprised at the difficulty in finding these, the Bigwig, Boomerang and Supershot use these, each car has 4 of teh gear box joints so I expected that there would be lots out there, but there are not.

I have found a few e-bay suppliers that list a lot but none have stock of these items.

also I had trouble finding a ball thrust bearing bag p/n 9405270 but have done some research using the build manuals and teh gear boxes for the boomerang and supershot are same so I have found some.

also bevel gears p/n 5465008, plenty of 5465007 though.

I recently bought a tired supershot (March 2012 AU$100) its quite tired and I was going to rob it for parts but now I want to keep it and also have it as a runner, so back to square one!

In summary for the Bigwig I have had difficulty finging :-
2595012 Wheel axle black
2595013 Gear box Joint
9405270 Ball thrust Bearing Bag
5465008 Bevel Gear R

thanks for listening, will let you know how I go

Hay Ewe

Re: Bigwig parts quest 12 years 3 weeks ago #8839

Last edit: by Edou. Reason: Made into a direct eBay link
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.