Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to preserve rubber? 12 years 7 months ago #2623

Hi.
I have a Toyota 4x4 Pick Up in rather good condition. Even the motor rubber cover is nice, but it's starting to get a bit hard. Not to the point that it cracks, but it's slowly getting there :-(
Is there anything I can do to stop or slow the deterioration process? Anything I can soak it in? Or is it doomed?

Tom

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: How to preserve rubber? 12 years 7 months ago #2624

Once rubber bits have started to go I don't think you'll ever cure it, there are lots of theories out there, mostly they boil down to avoiding all the obvious/usual remedies ("Back to Black", "Bumper Care", WD40, boot polish, oils & greases) as they may improve things short term, but might cause more damage in the long term, pure silicone "oil" softens things up short term, but does seem to vanish ... the one thing I have tried is gylcerine - I bought a big bottle of Kosher (really) 99.8% Glycerine, diluted it 50/50 with water & soaked a set of Brat tyres in it for a few days, it didn't look like much of an effect at the time, but I just went and had a feel :ohmy: - a year later and they're much better ... so I guess it soaks in & keeps on working? :unsure:
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Re: How to preserve rubber? 12 years 7 months ago #2625

That's interresting.... I wonder where I can buy that in Norway... Lars? I guess if I buy glycerine on the net the cops will flag me as a potentional "bad guy" :ohmy:

Re: How to preserve rubber? 12 years 7 months ago #2627

You'll probably have the most chance of getting it at a local pharmacy.
Maybe (but not likely) a regular drugstore might sell it also.

Of course the underlying process of the rubber polymer chains "breaking up" cannot really be reversed...
But it's an interesting solution that JR suggested. :cheer:

I think you'd have to buy it bulk on line for the CIA or similar agencies to get interested. ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: TommieG

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: How to preserve rubber? 12 years 7 months ago #3304

try vaseline it work'd on my tyers:)

Re: How to preserve rubber? 12 years 7 months ago #3305

Vaseline contain oils (hydrocarbons), so they are considered unsafe for rubber. As Jon says, it might look good for now, but it might also deteriorate the tire over time.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: How to preserve rubber? 12 years 7 months ago #3306

PLEDGE, or any good spray on furniture polish is a good rubber preserver, spray on liberally then gently wipe over. it is a good tip i have learned from the biking world

Re: How to preserve rubber? 12 years 7 months ago #3310

I'm sure it does improve the look of them short term, but I'd be worried it would make things worse in the longer term - you're not supposed to use petroleum jelly, aka soft parafin (aka vaseline) on latex, and Tamiya have never been clear about what their tyres are made from, only that they're "rubber like" :unsure:

Re: How to preserve rubber? 12 years 7 months ago #3312

I'm sure it does improve the look of them short term, but I'd be worried it would make things worse in the longer term - you're not supposed to use petroleum jelly, aka soft parafin (aka vaseline) on latex, and Tamiya have never been clear about what their tyres are made from, only that they're "rubber like" :unsure:

i am sure they are not latex. i am alergic to latex so i am sure my hands would have had a major reaction by now handling my car wheels and tires

Re: How to preserve rubber? 12 years 7 months ago #3315

thanks all might try something ells like sillicon spray insted :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.