Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Advice on painting ABS plastic 12 years 2 months ago #7901

hello

Im in need of some advice :)

im about to start my boomerang project....will be doing a thread in restos..

is it adviseable to paint abs plastic?
if so wot sort of paint do i need would tamiya ts be ok?
do i need a primer?

she will be a runner when shes done so any advice would be cool.

regards
jon the fox :y:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Advice on painting ABS plastic 12 years 2 months ago #7903

Painting chassis bits is certainly doable - but it does need to be scrupulously degreased, sanded for a good key & primed with plastic primer before painting ... I don't use Tamiya TS paints any more myself, but there's no reason why it wouldn't work ...

Just why are you thinking of painting it? If you just want a different colour chassis, then fair enough, but if it's to cover up scratches, then you need to sand them all away before painting (or use huge amounts of primer, then sand that) or they'll just show through - and if you're going to do that, then you might as well do a proper job of sanding/polishing...

Take a goosey at these Bigwig chassis parts:

Starting with 240 grit wet & dry paper & working up through the grades to 2000, wet, then finishing with a bix of wax polish, they ended up like this - although I admit I didn't do a particularly thorough job (should have started again, or spent more time on the rough grits) as this was for a runner:

Attachments:

Re: Advice on painting ABS plastic 12 years 2 months ago #7906

hi jr

i primarily want to paint it because of some repairs that need doing to the bumper mounts on the side.
plus it would be nice to get some of the deeper scrathes out.
it wont be just the chassis im going to paint,wishbones too and maybe gearbox cases.
im looking to paint some kind of metallic black.
i could just buy a new one from the bay for a tenner but thats would take out all the fun and satisfaction out of it all.

wot type of filler primer do you use?
would it be ok to fill some of the bigger scratches with araldite or something? :S

sorry about the size of pictures ive just learnt how to put them on,lol

cheers for your advice jr

jtf
Attachments:

Last edit: by jon_the_fox.

Re: Advice on painting ABS plastic 12 years 2 months ago #7911

I really wouldn't use Araldite as a filler - it's always a bit squidgy, even after curing & will be a badword to sand back ... if you want to go the epoxy route, I've used Milliput Silver/Grey - it's like two sticks of plasticine - mix equal parts together & push on, if you then get it wet it's quite amenable to smoothing out. It sands fairly easily & takes paint quite well :)

Filler primers / high build primers - I've only ever used the one - Simoniz Spray Putty, and IIRC it was a bit pants. I see Hycote make 3 varieties - "High Build White Primer", "High Build Grey Primer", & yellow "Filler Primer" - I'd probably try the grey in this case :)
The following user(s) Liked this: jon_the_fox

Re: Advice on painting ABS plastic 12 years 2 months ago #7914

cheers jr

ive used milliput once before,im just having a scout round the bay for filler primer. :y:

thanks for your help

jtf

Re: Advice on painting ABS plastic 12 years 2 months ago #7932

Without checking, I'd say the wishbones are likely to not be ABS, more likely polyethylene or polypropylene, in which case the paint won't stay stuck for long. You can test it by giving a small inconspicuous bit a wipe with acetone or cellulose thinners, if it goes sticky, the paint will stick.
Araldite - back in the old days, araldite USED to set almost rock hard, but I've noticed in recent times (Particularly with the fast setting types) that like Jonny says, it never really sets that hard. I've actually found that "Poundland"s cheap nasty epoxy actually sets hard/properly, like how Araldite USED to. It'll cut with a knife before fully cured, & can be sanded/filed after full curing without turning into a sticky goopy mess. Always best to mix more than you need too - you get a more acurate mix ratio the more you use, meaning a stronger/harder bond

Re: Advice on painting ABS plastic 12 years 2 months ago #7941

thanks for the advice eddrick
il try the wishbones with some acetone,the epoxy i have is the cheap nasty stuff,and i got it from poundland too :laugh: it was a pound :laugh: :silly: i always ask when im in there how much things are,i cant help myself :ohmy:

many thanks

jtf

Re: Advice on painting ABS plastic 12 years 2 months ago #7942

Another trick, if you intend to use epoxy as filler, is to add flour to it - it bulks it out & makes it easier to sand, but the set adhesive strength will be less, ie it's ok for filling holes but not for sticking stuff together
The following user(s) Liked this: jon_the_fox

Re: Advice on painting ABS plastic 12 years 2 months ago #7954

thanks for the advice eddrick,il take on board your advice :y:

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.