Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gots me a Tamiya Renault 5 Turbo "1981" 11 years 11 months ago #10521

HI!... Well I just picked up a Tamiya Renault 5 Turbo. Definitely needs a restoration. I'd say 95% of the original parts are there. Body is in pretty good shape but old and fragile. I'll be picking up a new one from TBG. The original owner gave me extra parts with it as well including a rarely used chassis plate and rear diff gears. So I'll basically be doing a clean up on it and the whitening process on all the white plastic parts. It really needs a new front bumper. The one that's on there currently is in very bad shape and has been repaired a bunch of times. No luck so far for that on Ebay.

So here's a few pics :

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Gots me a Tamiya Renault 5 Turbo "1981" 11 years 11 months ago #10859

Couple of questions if you don't mind:
-you wrote " I'll be picking up a new one from TBG", what do you mean by this?
-what's your process for brightening the plastic parts?

I have 2 R5's, one with the original bodywork (needs repaint job), the other with a replica bodywork. The decals seem the hardest to find...
Thx,
Didier

Re: Gots me a Tamiya Renault 5 Turbo "1981" 11 years 11 months ago #10864

Couple of questions if you don't mind:
-you wrote " I'll be picking up a new one from TBG", what do you mean by this?
-what's your process for brightening the plastic parts?

I have 2 R5's, one with the original bodywork (needs repaint job), the other with a replica bodywork. The decals seem the hardest to find...
Thx,
Didier

HI!... TBG is Team BlueGroove. It's a company here in Canada that makes excellent reproduction bodies.

As for whitening white plastic parts you need the following :

- Peroxide
- clear glass bowl
- small desk lamp
- a true ultraviolet lite bulb.

Pour the peroxide in the glass bowl. Submerge your parts into the solution. Turn light on and let sit very close to the top of the bowl. After 3-5 days your parts will be bright white again. You will have to occasionally stir the parts and re-submerge them due to air bubbles lifting them to the surface. I also like to wrap the glass bowl in aluminum foil with the shiny side towards the bowl to take full advantage of the light.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.