Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Tamiya TL01 Parts 11 years 11 months ago #11087

Thanks for the offer Eddrick they are a bargain but ill have to pass on this one as i have purchased quite a few bits lately and have to draw the line or ill end up spending money on whats only a cheap runner anyway :silly:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya TL01 Parts 11 years 11 months ago #11106

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! I'd say you could just have them, but it's a bit of a false economy buying stuff to give away! It's worth keeping adjusters in mind for steering & suspension though, they're a much better car after the mods, oil shocks make a big difference too

Re: Tamiya TL01 Parts 11 years 11 months ago #11196

Received my
Attachments:

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Tamiya TL01 Parts 11 years 11 months ago #11200

Have you got the missing bit? If so, I'd drill it out to a slightly larger size, superglue that bit back on, then use a slightly longer screw to hold the body post on.

I know it's a bit ghetto, but it's a cheap fix & might be good enough :)

Re: Tamiya TL01 Parts 11 years 11 months ago #11205

hi still have the bits only its split in two so would be a little like a jigsaw puzzle and im not sure it would hold. im thinking of dremmeling it flat at the chassis and using a small spacer with a larger screw to refit the post? might spin a little though as the square head on the chassis would be missing for the post to mount on to if that makes any sense whatsoever

Re: Tamiya TL01 Parts 11 years 11 months ago #11209

It makes sense... ;)
Once it's screwed down and the body is on, I guess the other three posts will prevent it from going anywhere. :y:

Re: Tamiya TL01 Parts 11 years 11 months ago #11218

If it were me, I think what I'd try first would be to use styrene cement (Model glue, NOT araldite , superglue etc) as it actually properly melts & "Solvent welds" the ABS material of the chassis (This is the method they use to join industrial ABS plastic pipework). 1st off, make sure you know which bits of your "jigsaw" go where. Then, drop styrene cement onto ALL faces of the bits that will come together (ie "put it on both parts to be joined"). Give it a minute or 2 to start melting the plastic (Stir it about on the plastic with a small screwdriver or pin, to see if it feels soft, slimy or starts turning black), then assemble all the bits. It's also better if you can clamp/tape/rubber band it to hold it all hard together (For a better bond). Put it to one side to set PROPERLY, at least 24hrs before you try to do anything else with it. Then, CAREFULLY drill out the broken portion to clear the screw you intend to use, so that when you put the screw in, it doesn't force the joint apart again. Hopefully, the broken bits will then act only as a right-shaped spacer, & the screw will be biting only in the good chassis material. It should stay together in use too, as the repair will effectively be clamped in place between the square recess of the body post, & the good material of the chassis. You might also need to use a slightly longer screw.

If that doesn't work (Which it should), another option is to try welding with a low-wattage soldering iron with a clean tip

Re: Tamiya TL01 Parts 11 years 11 months ago #11219

Thanks for the advice guys i was emailed by the seller so told him what happened and he has said he has a spare chassis he took apart in his loft so he is going to try and find a replacent side for me! :cheer:

Re: Tamiya TL01 Parts 11 years 11 months ago #11230

Thanks for the advice guys i was emailed by the seller so told him what happened and he has said he has a spare chassis he took apart in his loft so he is going to try and find a replacent side for me! :cheer:

Result! :y:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.