Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another new member of my tamiya family 11 years 2 months ago #19167

• Si06
  • Si06's Avatar Topic Author
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Yea it has and it has small rubber o rings in the cups on the gear box side but not in the hubs
it drives good bit underpowered at the moment with a silver can on it but have a Sport tuned about to go in it other than the stick rear wheel its a runner now all i have to dicide is wich way to modifi it go all carbon on it or just add all the hop ups from the manta ray to it

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Another new member of my tamiya family 11 years 2 months ago #19169

Yea it has and it has small rubber o rings in the cups on the gear box side but not in the hubs

Without looking at the manual, that sounds right :)

I'm a big fan of the Tamiya "Sport Tuned" motor myself :y:
IMO it's not great value for what it is, 20 GBP seems a bit steep for what's basically a painted, rewound silvercan with a bit of advance, but when you consider you can use it without changing the gearing or basic ESC, it starts to make more sense - 30% more speed and 30% less run time seems a fair trade off to me, it's noticeably faster but without too much chance of breaking stuff.

:)

Another new member of my tamiya family 11 years 2 months ago #19219

I'd personally have it apart to find out what the story is with the binding, before I stick some extra power into it. It might be something silly not worth worrying about, but at least you'd know for sure it's not gonna end in expensive tears.

Most likely would be overtightened wheelnut has squashed a plastic wheel hex against the outer bearing, hair/string wrapped between the hex & bearing or poorly trimmed plastic bushes (Fitting out of line or twisted).

You'd be wise to fully ballrace the car if you're gonna run it, particularly if you plan to put a more powerful motor in, & this would be the ideal time to have it apart to inspect anyway.

You have to remember that these cars have been put together by Joe Bloggs, whose abilities are an unknown, so there's likely to be parts missed out, doubled up, wrong bits fitted, or fitted back to front etc, so it's worth checking, particularly if you know it's not quite right

Another new member of my tamiya family 11 years 2 months ago #19237

• Si06
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
This exactly what i have planned for today i know the gear box's have practiclay no wear so its either somthing binding or a bit of plastic flashing not been trimmed right so i am gonna take it all apart put it all through the dish washer and then take a craft knife and file to any bits of moulding left on the plastic.

It did look like stevie wonder had put it together when it arrived

Another new member of my tamiya family 11 years 2 months ago #19248

Don't think they have manuals in braille yet. :silly:
Sounds to me like a problem outside the gearbox, since it only occurs on one side.
That'll probably be gone when you rebuild it (correctly).
Maybe turning the wheel by hand could reveal the issue already...

:y:

Another new member of my tamiya family 11 years 2 months ago #19249

• Si06
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
I know what it is/was flashing left on the end of the drive shaft the drive shaft ends are plastic removed this and now seems alot better.

Just ordered a Bearing set from RC bearings so this too will help with the movment of the wheels

so all i need is new body and wing shock oil bearings ESP aerial tube and front dogbone drive shaft as one of the front drive shafts is bent other than that 30 quid bought me a half decent runner :) and thats 30 quid including postage

Another new member of my tamiya family 11 years 2 months ago #19250

Sounds like a good score. :)
If you want to replace the dogbone, I'd go for the hardened (Top Force) version - #9805551.
They're about the same price but less vulnerable...

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.