Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Got myself a BRAT 13 years 3 months ago #357

So I picked up my Subaru Brat today, it is an original the previous owner got it 2nd hand about 11 years ago and he has not used it much. I got it for R500 (70$) and it included a old radio and a Tamiya ESC that i can install. It need quite a bit of work...
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Renier. Reason: Add pics

Re: Got myself a BRAT 13 years 3 months ago #358

I'll clean it up & then start the rebuild, I'll b e scanning ebay for the parts I need. I want to restore it to look like the box art
Attachments:

Last edit: by Renier.

Re: Got myself a BRAT 13 years 3 months ago #359

That Brat looks quite descent, seems to be in one piece?
The price seems reasonable as well. Nice find!

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Got myself a BRAT 13 years 3 months ago #371

Thanks dude, I'm keen to start on this one!
Can you perhaps help me with the following info:
1) The original color code for the body paint
2) What size pinion gear do I use if I want to upgrade to a 540 motor.

Thanks

Re: Got myself a BRAT 13 years 3 months ago #372

For colour codes, visit this page on TamiyaBase.com : www.tamiyabase....ducts.html

For pinion, check out the Frog manual , the Frog has the same gearbox but came with a 540 motor.
It looks like 16T for 52T spur gear, 18T pinion for 50T Spur and 19*t spinion for 49T spur]

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Got myself a BRAT 13 years 3 months ago #373

What an awesome database.

Thanks!

Re: Got myself a BRAT 12 years 8 months ago #2043

My Brat project is still on going albeit slowly, I only have a pic of the striped out chassis. I am ready to spray the body. Do I need to use a primer coat before I spray the red on the body ?
Attachments:

Re: Got myself a BRAT 12 years 8 months ago #2044

My Brat project is still on going albeit slowly, I only have a pic of the striped out chassis. I am ready to spray the body. Do I need to use a primer coat before I spray the red on the body ?

yes and no - "no", as long as the shell is clean, then paint can go on & will probably stick ok, but on the other had, "yes", because the result is proportional to the amount of time/effort you put in - more effort/time = shinier paint.

For example, the Sand Rover I did recently : the paint on this still looks like it's wet - the key parts of getting it that shiny were not only priming it, but very gently rubbing down the primer afterwards (2000 grit wet & dry, done wet), then two heavy coats of clear after the colour coat.

This Monster Beetle on the other hand was painted in every way the same as the Sand Rover, except for not rubbing it down after priming - although a bad paintjob, it's not as shiny - it doesn't look as "wet", and reflections in it are nowhere near as sharp.

This, on the other hand is my Brat ... it's still a fair job (if I do say so myself ;) ), but that's mainly because of the detailing & dcealling. Note the lack of shine - it's more of a satin finish ... this is due to the paintjob being just a rub down, then straight on with the colour.

Up to you really :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: Renier

Re: Got myself a BRAT 12 years 8 months ago #2045

Thanks, I think I'll do the primer and clear coast as I definitely want the shiny look. Your Brat is looking great! Think its time a start a build thread...

Re: Got myself a BRAT 12 years 8 months ago #2046

Very nice score this car and a great project... B)

Just out of curiosity - what kind of paint will you be using?

Last edit: by Edou.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.