• Page:

TOPIC:

Black Porsche on eBay - how original is it? 11 years 11 months ago #10025

• Edou
  • Edou's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
Hey guys,

Nothing like the original Black Porsche...
The one in the eBay ad beneath raises a question that has appeared in quite a few threads before.
How much of a purist are you - is this car original enough?
Built from spares it says - a phenomenon I know myself.
Although it reckon it would weigh much heavier with this particular model.

I thought it would be nice to add a poll but the subject is too nuanced for only four choices I think...
Borderlining to discussions of a philosophical nature as I remember from earliers topics.

Of course I wouldn't mind having this one on my shelf but "settling" for a TA02 isn't half bad either. :side:
Especially when I remember some of the prices originals went for recently...

Just too bad there's no picture without the body on it. Don't know what that says.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Elfer on eBay - how much of a purist are you? 11 years 11 months ago #10026

I am not in to Porsche so I had a look at more pics at TC and some pics of the originals 935s, but something is just not right with the bonnet, those three round holes (two of them which are closed).
The two who are closed should have been cut out and then placed back on as a lid.
As it is with the Tamiya shell when it is polished like that it looks wrong to me.

Re: Elfer on eBay - how much of a purist are you? 11 years 11 months ago #10027

This is kind of worrying...
The thing is: There were not made spares for the original Black Porsche...
Also, judging by the pictures, the chassis metal plates looks painted, not anodized like the real one.
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Elfer on eBay - how much of a purist are you? 11 years 11 months ago #10028

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
If the body and chassis are off, then there's no discussion about the originality issue. :whistle:
In the hypothetical case you'd find all the original parts to build the car, I'd be willing to consider it genuine myself.
To some degree at least...

What's with the bonnet - is that a resprayed static shell, from another model or incorrect assembly?
I may have to read up on Lars' blog.

www.tamiyabase....e-934.html

Re: Elfer on eBay - how much of a purist are you? 11 years 11 months ago #10029

What's with the bonnet - is that a resprayed static shell, from another model or incorrect assembly?
I may have to read up on Lars' blog .

I don't think the bonnet is wrong, the two closed holes come like that in the kit.

But, studying the ebay auction pictures even more, I spot the plastic details lining the door window. Those are not supposed to be there on a original Black Porsche... They came with the static kit, and I think with the 84057 Tamtech Black Porsche.

I checked with my NIB, and the chassis plates on the one on ebay is definitely different than the anodized correct ones. The anodizing has a kind of bluish tint to the black, and you can clearly see the "aluminum structure".
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.

Last edit: by larbut.

Re: Elfer on eBay - how much of a purist are you? 11 years 11 months ago #10030

But still, the biggest worry is that the original Black Porsche were never graced with any spares, so I can't see how this could be correct.

Re: Black Porsche on eBay - how much of a purist are you? 11 years 11 months ago #10032

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad

It however was not built from a numbered kit but from period correct spare parts.

Guess that statement can never be true since there weren't any...

The chassis being the "soul" of a car (coming back on the philosohical issue) would make this far from original.
Although I now realize the Black One was a bad example to open a purity discussion.

:lol:

Re: Black Porsche on eBay - how much of a purist are you? 11 years 11 months ago #10033

The whole "black Porsche" thing really doesn't interest me, but I can understand it - and see that good provenance would be vital.

That car is at best a very good replica or tribute, it can never be the real thing, and can only have a fraction of the value.

I have dealt with a "Slimmy" on TC, and the location fits from sending him stuff, but he never struck me as illiterate - "very uneeke"? :blink:

Re: Black Porsche on eBay - how much of a purist are you? 11 years 11 months ago #10046

• Edou
  • Hopping Mad
  • Hopping Mad
I'd offer to anodise the chassis, just for the basic principle of it. Painting it doesn't come close...
Tbh, the title of the ad is a misrepresentation. Simply because the parts can't be genuine.
Which doesn't mean it's not a good looking car.

Edit - I took a swing at the topic title. Seems to be more about the car than the general discussion I was aiming for.

Re: Black Porsche on eBay - how much of a purist are you? 11 years 10 months ago #10071

If you are a manufacturer & you decide to do a limited run of product, aimed at collectors, intended to be a future collectible item, sensibly you include some kind of marking &/or certification of its authenticity. If no such thing exists for this model, then it doesn't matter how rare an original it is as you'd never be able to prove it, which in my mind makes it only worth what people who want it are willing to pay. If you're talented enough & have something to copy, most things can be reproduced & the less-informed would never spot the difference, which is kinda what "Fakes" are all about - as long as there's people out there who'll pay full price for something that's not the genuine article, "fakes" will always be produced, & without some kind of manufacturer's difficult-to-fake documentation/records/markings, no-one could really say "This is real". Personally, I feel that if someone has put a lot of effort into copying something nice, it's just as good as the real thing, but ONLY if you intend to keep it for your own enjoyment, which brings you back to "How badly do you want it, how much are you gonna pay to make sure you get it & not another potential buyer"

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.