Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Valuation? 11 years 8 months ago #12566

Hi, i have 4 thundershot based cars now, but i'd like something different. so i'm planning to sell the mint thunder dragon with the super dragon shell & buy something different. the car has never been run outside & the shell is the same. it has all the electrics in it receiver, esc, motor ( silver can) with a acoms techniplus transmitter all ready to run.

what do think it might be worth?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Valuation? 11 years 8 months ago #12567

what do think it might be worth?

Sadly, not very much - it seems to be the most unloved of all the plastic manga whizzy buggies - I paid 30 GBP (+ post) for mine & that looked quite good in a photo, there's one on eBay now at 79 GBP BIN with radio gear + a boxed mk.2 acoms set & that hasn't sold, looking at ebay's completed listings, 45 GBP seems to be the average :(

The Super Dragon shell I'm not sure makes a difference - yes it's a rare hop up, but how many people know that? ... That said, I do appreciate it, & would quite like it myself - apart from not having a pot to whizz in & having to sell some of my own cars to complete others :(

Anyway, bearing in mind I don't want to buy it from you, I don't see any problems with helping you get the maximum for it :D

My suggestion would be to put it on eBay today, with a delayed start time of 2130 tonight, for 10 days - that way it'll be on over two weekends, and finish in a 2100 - 2200 Sunday night window where things seem to sell best/for the most.
eBay Uk currently have a promotion on where your first listing is "free" - there are lots exclusions, but it will cost a lot less than normal to put on lots of pictures - make sure you put on some of the underside, people like to see that to judge how it's been used.

Take pictures against a background (even a white sheet will do) as that seems to help ...

As for price, If that was me (and assuming the ESC & radio looks decent) I'd be inclined to try it at 140 BIN + 9 postage, you'll take a bit of a hit on the postage (it'll cost you 12 GBP or so to send on Parcelmonkey, + time & packing materials), but it's psychologically better to have a lower postage price, that way you can get away with more on the BIN price. Also consider taking the RX, TX & RSC out of the deal for use in another car - they never add very much to the sale price (maybe 15 - 20 GBP?) but will cost at least twice that to replace later :huh:

Stress the lack of use & rareness of the shell in the listing.

Mention that it's advertised elsewhere (but not where) - then advertise it here (and perhaps more importantly, on TamiyaClub :whistle:) for 125 GBP + postage - eBay's "final value" fee is 10%, so if you dodge that your net will be the same.

Don't put it on with a BIN price and as an auction - someone will come along within minutes & put in the minimum bid, and you'll have wasted the your time putting a BIN price on.

If that doesn't work, I'd try it again or at a fractionally lower price, if it sells your listing fees will be refunded ... after that, it might be worth breaking in up - the A5 part, chassis tub, tyres (and maybe wheels) and body are worth something, probably more that you'll get for the car as a whole, though it might be worth trying it as an auction (with a 75 GBP or so reserve?) and a 99p start price ... don't start the auction at 75 GBP though, no-one will bid :huh:

Re: Valuation? 11 years 8 months ago #12568

And while you're taking those photos can I have one for the calendar? :D ;) Same camera angle, just with a plain background - I won't guarantee it'll go in, or that we'll even have a calendar, but it would be nice to have more options :)

Re: Valuation? 11 years 8 months ago #12576

Wise words from JR re eBay there. When I am bidding on a relatively expensive item, I like to know as much as possible about it, so add lots of words and good quality pictures. The picture you have here is great, especially with the paints in the background - it shows you are a serious modeller and not some kid who has thrashed the daylights out of it.
Make sure the listing looks good and reads well, but no need to use fancy backgrounds or graphics. Use a simple typeface (I like Arial or Verdana).
Lastly, a personal point - poor grammar and spelling tend to put me off, so check it thoroughly!
It never ceases to amaze me that people put half a dozen words of poor English and a crappy mobile phone picture and expect to sell for loads of money!

Re: Valuation? 11 years 8 months ago #12577

Lastly, a personal point - poor grammar and spelling tend to put me off, so check it thoroughly!
It never ceases to amaze me that people put half a dozen words of poor English and a crappy mobile phone picture and expect to sell for loads of money!

I definitely agree with that - I won't buy anything, no matter now badly I need it, or how great a bargain it seems to be, if the seller appears to be illiterate :whistle:

Re: Valuation? 11 years 8 months ago #12578

While we're talking about placing eBay ads...
Anyone know how to select different shipping costs for the various countries (in "advanced mode")?

:huh: :blush:

Edit - think I finally found it...

pages.ebay.com/...costs.html

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Valuation? 11 years 8 months ago #12589

The 'Shots when though a phase recently where they were making semi-decent money, don't know about now though.

My "Thundershot Dog Toy" with decent A5, radio etc & Beatties bag (Look in my gallery for all of what was included etc) made 90gbp on Ebay earlier in the year, whereas the previous year nobody wanted to give me 20gbp for it!

I'll agree with JR about Ebay selling tips. Good photos & lots of them are what I like to see when buying at higher prices. Keep an eye on what "interesting events" might be happening at the auction finishing time too - I've been caught like that with the footy being on & my listed items making only a small fraction of what they would otherwise!

Having said all this though, I've noticed that since the football, olympics, Big Brother etc have been going on, there really isn't much decent stuff (Or read bargains) being listed on Ebay recently & some of the asking prices/bidding on junk has been mental.
So, a suggestion - how much harm would it do to just hang onto the car for now, keep an eye on selling prices on Ebay for similar items, then list it when the prices are higher AND Ebay isn't swamped with lots of the same thing. Just before xmas is always a good time

Re: Valuation? 11 years 8 months ago #12597

... I won't buy anything, no matter now badly I need it, or how great a bargain it seems to be, if the seller appears to be illiterate :whistle:

Case in point: www.ebay.co.uk/...0879534725 :whistle:

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Valuation? 11 years 8 months ago #12601

I see it's sold though - can we expect a Hornet resto Jonny?

Re: Valuation? 11 years 8 months ago #12602

I see it's sold though - can we expect a Hornet resto Jonny?

Wasn't me

:)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.