Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: OMG! this is awesome (as in awful). 11 years 6 months ago #14680

I wonder what's the vehicle in the 3rd picture. Could be a BMW Z4 class E85 or E89.

It's an AMG Merc...

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: OMG! this is awesome (as in awful). 11 years 6 months ago #14697

It really doesn't look any more ridiculous than the CR-01 version...

Last edit: by TOZROVR.

Re: OMG! this is awesome (as in awful). 11 years 6 months ago #14698

I agree they should do an ABS Unimog body, but there's really little point in doing a fragile styrene "scale" body for any of the "stunt" type cars.

You have to bear in mind that making lexan bodies is the "much cheaper" option, vac-forming tooling being far simpler & cheaper than tool-heads for injection moulding machines.
I'm surprised Tamiya haven't explored the vac-forming ABS route yet (Which is what Kamtec do for their ABS bodies). Sure the vac-formed bodies lack the detail of the I/M styrene ones, BUT the material type does allow you to modify them easily with glue, plasticard, welding & painting methods. (Can't really do much with lexan..)

I do quite a bit with the Kamtec ABS bodies and love them, however, for anyone new to the hobby or modeling, they would be a nightmare I think. Cutting the windows can be a real bear if you don't have the right tools and one wrong move...junk.

Re: OMG! this is awesome (as in awful). 11 years 6 months ago #14713

I do quite a bit with the Kamtec ABS bodies and love them, however, for anyone new to the hobby or modeling, they would be a nightmare I think. Cutting the windows can be a real bear if you don't have the right tools and one wrong move...junk.

I agree, there's not much in the way of cutting guide lines or instructions ;)

Re: OMG! this is awesome (as in awful). 11 years 6 months ago #14724

That's the fun of it though... Anyway, messing up in ABS isn't a huge calamity, it can always be repaired with plasticard, paint can be cleanly removed.
Cocking up a lexan shell really does condemn it to the bin!

Not sure about the Unimog shell on the CR01 chassis, it's not a scale chassis anyway so you could say none of the bodies are right for it. The FJ looks best to me though.
Fitting it to the CC01 chassis is just plain wrong though - the chassis is quite a good representation of what you'd find under most "pretend" 4x4s in the real world, the Unimog isn't one of them. It wants a coil sprung live axle ladder chassis. A Highlift with coils instead of leaf springs could be close.

I think I quite like the Willy version, it's not trying to be something it's not. It's just for a laugh, & it reminds me of the 1/35 "junior" 4x4s Tamiya do (Or did)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.