Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

terra (pain) scorcher 11 years 6 months ago #14631

• jay d
  • jay d's Avatar Topic Author
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
hello you lot! is the scorcher classed as a vintage model? i did not build it but when you turn the wheels they go in opposite directions and the motor makes a funny noise any clues and what bodies will fit :unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: terra (pain) scorcher 11 years 6 months ago #14633

if you turn one wheel the one on the other side should turn in the other direction, that will be your differential doing its job.
if you turn both wheels L/R in the rear in the same direction the motor should turn.

try reading this it might come handy ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: jay d

Re: terra (pain) scorcher 11 years 6 months ago #14635

And yes, #75 is definitely vintage. :y:
We've had quite a few threads lately about the Thunder Terra Fire Dragon Scorchers...
The shells that officially fit :

www.tamiyabase....assis.html

Re: terra (pain) scorcher 11 years 6 months ago #14641

Hi Jay D! - Describe "Funny motor noise" - is it loudish squeaking/squealing? (Oil the bearings, they've dried out).
If you haven't actually powered it up yet, & the motor's making only a feint squeaky noise as you turn the wheels by hand, that's normal, it's just the sound of the brushes rubbing on the commutator inside the motor.
Option 3 - if you've powered it up, & it has an electronic speed controller, these can also make a high-pitched squeak in the motor at low speed.

As for your wheels turning in opposite directions, we've assumed you're turning a left wheel by hand, & the right one is turning in the opposite direction - if we've grasped what you're describing, then yes, as Waterbok said, that's normal, it's just the differential gearing doing what it's supposed to. Google "Differential gears" & you should be able to find pictures & descriptions of how they work & what they're for.
If we've misunderstood what you're trying to describe, let us know & I'm sure that between us we can sort it out for you

Re: terra (pain) scorcher 11 years 6 months ago #14678

• jay d
  • jay d's Avatar Topic Author
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
hello eddrick,thanks for the info,it is more of a clicking noise but i am clad the wheels are ok i have powered it up but not run it its been stood for about 10 years so i think i will just strip it down its really in very goog condition

Re: terra (pain) scorcher 11 years 6 months ago #14685

Clicking... I'd have the motor out & check that the pinion grub screw is tight first. The other "horror" is if someone has put the pinion on in the wrong place on the motor shaft (Very possible cos you need a special tool to get it right, & this tool always gets lost!). If the pinion IS in the wrong place, peer into the gearbox & check the condition of the plastic "spur" gear teeth.
Check the condition of the pinion gear teeth too whilst you're at it.
Look down the holes in the motor & make sure there's no grit (Or "spare" screws!) in there, & also make sure that the screws that hold the motor in aren't too long (If they are, they might be hitting the motor internals as it spins).
Whilst the motor's out, just do a quick check to see if the clicking is actually coming from the motor & not something else in the gearbox - there's lots of other stuff in & around there that could be making a clicking sound (eg driveshafts, propellor shaft, grit, mashed gear etc)

Re: terra (pain) scorcher 11 years 6 months ago #14716

I'm guessing a missing tooth on the small side of the spur gear :(

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.