Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Spektrum 2.4ghz Advice 11 years 1 month ago #20228

Hi all

I have managed to acquire three boats in the space of a week :ohmy:

The first is an old Aerokit Sea Rover which is a wreck requiring a total rebuild

The second is another 30 odd inch Aerokit Crash Tender in good condition but also needing some work until im happy with the finish im not happy with the quality of the paint job

The third is a scratch built cabin cruiser built by the owner of my local hobby store which is mainly finished just requiring the addition of radio gear

I was at my local boating lake today which was packed so i got to thinking im going to have to go down the 2.4ghz route to avoid interference on my boats so i have started looking at Spektrum transmitters as im told they will work with some of the cheaper orange branded receivers you can pick up off ebay for like a tenner.

The problem is i have no knowledge whatsoever in this area so im looking for some good advice on what transmitter to go for. Are there any known floors in them etc?

Any advice ie appreciated im still stuck in the two band 27mhz era :laugh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Spektrum 2.4ghz Advice 11 years 1 month ago #20230

I don't have any ground Orange Rx's buy I use them in my planes with my Spektrum DX7 and they work very well. The ground ones have mostly good reviews.
Look at the hacked GT3B from overkillrc.com if you think you'll ever want/need more than 3 channels. I love mine and Rx's are usually on sale somewhere for $5-14 each depending on how many channels.

Spektrum 2.4ghz Advice 11 years 1 month ago #20234

excuse my ignorance but why does it need to be hacked? cant i just buy one off ebay they are so cheap

Spektrum 2.4ghz Advice 11 years 1 month ago #20237

Hacked has new, updateable software that makes it a fully programmable 8 channel radio. For a few extra $$ you can get the voltage regulator upgraded and get a bearing put on the steering shaft. I only dropped $117 on mine. Much less than any name brand 3 or 4 channel radio and much more capable.

Spektrum 2.4ghz Advice 11 years 1 month ago #20238

your problem will be where to position the antenne and how far it is able to stick above the water.

if you want to use the spektrum ground TX/RX with for example the dx3e/dx3c, there is the gr300 from orange. I got one for use in my cars on the otherside there are the waterproof receivers from spektrum (mr200/mr3000) with two long antennae, use the mr3000 in my CR01 and scx10 crawler, I could drive it until I could not recognise the car anymore (still got perfect eyesight) and that with the antennae lying within the chassis.

it might be possible to extent the antenna of the orange receiver with a Laptop wifi antenna (its only the 'naked' bit at the end thats important.
and pour the RX in epoxy or something to make it WP

btw I got 4 of the mr3000 in two seperate auctions on ebay (real lucky) and paid 20€ a piece :whistle:

Last edit: by waterbok.

Spektrum 2.4ghz Advice 11 years 1 month ago #20240

Thanks for the advice ill give the flysky unit a trial at that price it would be silly not to if i dont like it i can give it away its so cheap :y:

Spektrum 2.4ghz Advice 11 years 1 month ago #20241

you can do the hacks and mods yourself (i did) there are 3 different firmware hacks 3, 6 and 8 channel (more channels less model memory)
the hack also improves some of the standard features and get rid of some bugs.

mods, voltage regulator and bearing :y:

or maybe somebody can do the firmware hack for you.

oh and if you buy the GT3B on ebay get one that has shipping costs (wowrcmodel) so you stay under the netto amount for customs (works here in germany)

Last edit: by waterbok.

Spektrum 2.4ghz Advice 11 years 1 month ago #20242

HI!... I spent over $300 on a 2.4 Spektrum transmitter. Nice radio. But I only use them on RC cars. So I switched over to the HK GT-2. Only $16 and I hate to say it, but one of the best radio's I have owned. I have 8 of these and a ton of spare receivers. $6.

www.hobbyking.c...Tx_Rx.html

Spektrum 2.4ghz Advice 11 years 1 month ago #20247

Ordered one of these already to try it out the prices are fantastic and i ordered an additional two receivers £6.00 each. Thats great considering the Acoms receivers i have been buying where around £15-16.00 each and they are only 2 channel 27mhz. Thanks for the advice :y: B)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds