Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help me identify a vintage buggy 6 years 3 months ago #47571

Hello all, hoping someone can help me remember the Tamiya buggy my uncle had back in the day. I have searched exhaustively on the internet and can't seem to peg it down. Here's what I remember: in late 1984, my uncle purchased this buggy for himself, and a F150 for me (with matching Futaba radios). He bought them at a Playco in California.We built them together. They had similar appearing chassis features, with a clear sealed "box" that the battery and servos and stuff went in, and a rubber-boot covered on/off switch. They were waterproof, as I remember (or so we thought). The shocks on both the F150 and this buggy were similar...they were metallic and looked "real", and were oil filled. I know the chassis that my F150 was built on is called "SRB", or at least that is what I think my research tells me. So I assumed that this buggy was also built on that chassis. None of the few models built on this chassis that I have found on the internet seem to match my memories. I could have sworn there was a "Super" in the name on the box, and for some reason, I remembered it as the "Super Hopper", but of course, no such model exists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(And yes, I have asked my uncle himself.....he is drawing a blank too, lol)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Help me identify a vintage buggy 6 years 3 months ago #47572

• awk
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
tamiyabase.com/tamiya-models

Should be one of those

Or its the Super Champ, but this one has no clear box

Another one with clear box but no SRB

Last edit: by awk.

Help me identify a vintage buggy 6 years 3 months ago #47573

Hi MixedBreed,

You come to the right place, these guys will help nail it down.

Everything you describe sounds like the highly collectable SRB series, Sand Scorcher, rough rider and Ford ranger. As awk says there is a super champ also that is very similar.

On eBay search Tamiya Sand Scorcher or any of the above and see what you come up with. The good news is they rereleased them a couple of years ago, although pricey all very available.

Help me identify a vintage buggy 6 years 3 months ago #47577

• awk
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
  • Being nuts is NEAT!
don't know why the links don't work, from my tablet they were ok....

so i made some pics out of the database:

SRB

Super Champ

but this one has no clear box

Toyota 4X4

has a clear box

you can search them by number in the database to get the details.
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: goldfish999

Last edit: by awk.

Help me identify a vintage buggy 6 years 3 months ago #47604

Thanks for the help! I guess it had to have been a "Rough Rider". It just didn't ring any bells when I did my initial research. I had no idea how collectible the original SRB versions are....I wish I still had that F150!

Help me identify a vintage buggy 6 years 3 months ago #47619

Dude! The ranger is rarer. And SRBs arz very apreciate. Easier to restore with rere now.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.