Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boxart "liberties" 11 years 11 months ago #9559

Its no secret that the artist who did the boxart for Tamiya's older RC cars took certain liberties when it came to what the finished model looked like vs. the picture. Some are blatantly obvious like the bumper on the Sand Scorcher or the fact that the Lancia Rally's art looks NOTHING like what you build from the pieces inside the box. This thread is more about the subtle little things added or removed. For example: The Lunch Box has a front diff housing slung in betwwen the A-arms hinting at 4WD or the Bruiser is totally missing its front skid plate in the boxart. What little things did you find?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Boxart "liberties" 11 years 11 months ago #9615

I was thinking about this after looking at the "What's you favourite boxart" thread.
For me I'd say it doesn't matter when the picture is of a fictional vehicle (ie dune buggy type things) as no-one can really say how it should actually look.
I'm not sure about the Quattro (& other models based on real cars). Yeah it's misleading having art that in no way even resembles what's in the box, but the art IS a pretty good reproduction of the real (1:1) car. AND there are pictures elsewhere on the boxes (Cutaways usually) which depict what your model will be like when it's built. I do ask the question "Why not just use photographs of the real thing" though. Perhaps these little "Additions" etc could be to get around copyright infringement?
Lets face it, when you buy an Airfix Spitfire kit, you don't expect to get clouds, fire & bullets in the kit - I think the artwork is there to fire your imagination & it's assumed you won't expect to get EXACTLY what's depicted on the box (Well, I don't anyway!)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.