Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What is regarded as 'Vintage'? 12 years 11 months ago #994

Gday all.

Just wondering what is defined as 'Vintage'?
Would come in handy to know, so myself or anyone else, knows what/what not to post.

Are we talking the 'First 100'?

A lot of later models are commonly referred to as 'Vintage', so just wanted to clarify. B)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Falcon#5.

Re: What is regarded as 'Vintage'? 12 years 11 months ago #1000

I'd like to think it's the first 100 releases. Some say it counts until #58150.
Btw - with both definitions the Humvee (58154) is still not a vintage car. :( :laugh:

As time goes buy, people start calling all kinds of Tamiya "vintage" which is kind of strange to me.
Some even use the definition for cars that have simply been discontinued for a while.

Of course, in a hunderd years or so all the stuff that's now released will probably be considered vintage too! :laugh:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: What is regarded as 'Vintage'? 12 years 11 months ago #1001

Good question!
First off I would say the definition is floating. Ask a 20-year-old about what is vintage, and he will reply something different than a 80-year-old.

Also, "a vintage car" is defined by Wiki as cars from 1919 to 1930, while a vintage computer is, well from the 70-80's I guess.

When it comes to Vintage Tamiya, I guess the most common definition is "first 150". I however, like to think that it is the "first 100" giving a period up to and including 1991.

If you look at Internet the word "vintage" is usually connected to wine, but I found this definition of "vintage collectibles":

The term vintage refers to a particular span of time. Collectibles are items deemed worthy of collecting because of their history, manufacturing process or for personal or nostalgic reasons. Vintage items that are 100 years old or less. Items older than 100 years are referred to as antiques.

Still, I think this definition might be even more accurate (or less..), as it leaves it to the individual to define...:

Vintage is a word that can have several meanings. Its primary definition is "of old, recognized and enduring interest, importance or quality."

So, no definete answer from me... :laugh:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: What is regarded as 'Vintage'? 12 years 11 months ago #1002

Of course, in a hunderd years or so all the stuff that's now released will probably be considered vintage too! :laugh:

I stand corrected - they would become antiques!
Guess it can only be vintage as long as there's someone remembering it being released. :whistle:

This one is also interesting : a period of origin of manufacture - because this would actually mean that only the items at the start of production could ever become vintage... :dry:

Re: What is regarded as 'Vintage'? 12 years 11 months ago #1004

I think the term 'Vintage' is used too loosely.

I have a couple of TA-03's and I've heard them referred to as Vintage.
I didn't think they were that old! :laugh:

I believe the 'First 100' should be defined as 'Vintage'.
And #58101 - #58150 should be 'Classic'.
I have heard 'Classic' used before, but not sure exactly what models that was referring to.

A bit of a grey area by the sounds! :laugh:

Re: What is regarded as 'Vintage'? 12 years 11 months ago #1039

This one is also interesting : a period of origin of manufacture - because this would actually mean that only the items at the start of production could ever become vintage... :dry:

I have come across many people calling their M01 chassis "vintage" which in general might sound like nonsense.
But by the definition mentioned above, there is even a slight truth in it.

Since it can then be considered as the "vintage" among the line of M chasssis...
I wouldn't dare to use the term for this model myself though.

:blink:

Re: What is regarded as 'Vintage'? 12 years 11 months ago #1070

There's a big 2-day Vintage Off-Road Racing festival coming up in June in Australia.

In some info posted up about the event, I found this.

Categories for Vintage racing are:

VINTAGE: Cut off date pre January 1st 1991.

CLASSIC: from January 1st 1991 through to December 31st 1996.

Here is a link to Vintage Racing in NSW 2011 thread on R/C Tech, for anyone interested.

Unfortunately I can't attend this year, but will hopefully be there next year! B)

Re: What is regarded as 'Vintage'? 12 years 11 months ago #1075

Too bad I don't have lipos because I see they're obligated. Otherwise I'd join the party. ;)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.