Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Mystery Motor 11 years 10 months ago #10021

Took this motor out of an old and very tired thundershot and was curious if anyone knows anything about it? How many turns etc? its a total blank to me and i was wondering if its worth reusing or for scrap? it seems to have four solder points and i wanted to reattach some wires but am unsure which points i should be soldering too? two seem to have wires coming from them. Im a novice when it comes to motors any advice is appreciated.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Mystery Motor 11 years 10 months ago #10023

Without a label or any outside markings it's kind of hard to tell ... you could take the brushes out, prise open the tabs that hold the end can on, remove the rotor & see if it's got anything stamped on it ...

TBH though I'd guess it's a fairly basic 27T "stock" motor - theoretically it'll go faster than a standard silvercan - bearings, stronger magnets, probably a bit of advance on the timing ... put a pinion on it & see what resistance there is to turning the rotor, put some wires on & see if it _sounds_ fast .... or put it in a car & see what happens, keeping a close eye (or finger) on how hot the ESC & the motor itself get.

I can help with the wiring though:

:)
Attachments:

Re: Mystery Motor 11 years 10 months ago #10024

Cheers il wire it up using your diagram tonight. I have turned the motor by hand and it seems to have more resistance than the standard kit tamiya motors i have?

Re: Mystery Motor 11 years 10 months ago #10034

Cheers il wire it up using your diagram tonight. I have turned the motor by hand and it seems to have more resistance than the standard kit tamiya motors i have?

More resistance, unless the bearings have siezed, means stronger magnets - which should mean more torque & therefore "power" and, subject to correct gearing, speed.

Hook it up to a battery & see how fast it sounds, compared to a 540 silvercan. It's not an exact science, but I would expect it sound about 15% faster.

Also try connecting it both ways - if it sounds faster one way than the other, that'll tell you if the timing is not 0 degrees - i.e. if the brush to motor angle has been "advanced" to go faster forwards (but slower backwards).

I really can't think of any other zero cost, non-invasive tests :)

Re: Mystery Motor 11 years 10 months ago #10053

It looks like a kyosho mega motor but wich one???
:whistle:
My one was yellow patched :P

Re: Mystery Motor 11 years 10 months ago #10061

Found this kicking about. Can't post PDFs so had to take screen shots of it. If it comes up illegible, I'll try something different
Attachments:

Re: Mystery Motor 11 years 10 months ago #10062

yeah...... unless someone's got a better idea, gimme an email address & I'll send it there. There's a bit in it about identification from the end bell type, plus wiring & rebuild instructions

Re: Mystery Motor 11 years 10 months ago #10063

just found some old Reedy motor info too....

Re: Mystery Motor 11 years 10 months ago #10068

Just attempted to upload the PDFs to the site, apparently they're waiting for approval. Hopefully that attempt will go more smoothly than the previous one!

Re: Mystery Motor 11 years 10 months ago #10081

Just had a message from Lars saying he's got limited t'internet access for a week, so it may be a little while before the uploaded motor info will be available for everyone to view. If you need it urgently, PM me & I'll get it emailed to you. I'm gonna guess it's not a Le-Mans 360 - I had one back in the 80's & seem to remember it had a silver can with a black alloy front plate & black end bell. It's unlikely to be a 240T cos I've got one here & although it's an all-steel can, it's all black with a black endbell. The only other one I have is green & it's not here to check the number

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.