Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New to Tamiya 11 years 10 months ago #10528

Hello everyone-

My name is Jeoen and I knew nothing about R/C cars before yesterday. I went to a yard sale and bought a R/C car for $10 that was dusty adn in a box with a controller. After some research, it is a Toyota Hilux 58028. It seems that this is the first year they came out. How do I identify it further? I would like to sell it to someone who appreciates these, as my kids want to keep it and use it. They are 4 & 8 and it would probably get ruined.

Great site!

Jeroen (pale rider)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: New to Tamiya 11 years 10 months ago #10529

Welcome, Jeroen! :)

Sounds like a very good score. There are many 3-speed (the chassis type) fans. :cheer:
What more would you like to identify about it? Maybe you could post a picture...

Re: New to Tamiya 11 years 10 months ago #10530

I have taken a few pictures of it. How do I upload them?

Re: New to Tamiya 11 years 10 months ago #10531

Here are a few pictures as attachments. I also have a Futuba FP-T4NL that came with it. Will this work for this unit? It also seems like I have the charger for the controller, but not the big 4000 battery pack. Are these available?

Thanks for the info, as I said earlier, I know nothing about these things.
Attachments:

Re: New to Tamiya 11 years 10 months ago #10532

Looks like it's in good condition. Your $10 was a solid investment.
Here's a similar car I found on eBay :

Tbh, there are other members here that would know more details.
When it comes to the car as well as the radio gear...
But I did find that the latter uses a frequency (75 MHz) that is no longer allowed by the FCC.

Btw - if you also click on the "Insert" button after adding an image, it will appear normal size in the message. :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: pale rider

Re: New to Tamiya 11 years 10 months ago #10543

:woohoo:
That is the sold of the century
10$ is really cheap for a hilux. really nice good buy :y:

Re: New to Tamiya 11 years 10 months ago #10545

Thanks for the info. I don't know what frequency the transmitter is. I will do more research this week and hopefully get more input from the members.

Re: New to Tamiya 11 years 10 months ago #10555

Nice! Why does everyone else get the good finds?
They're rare in complete/good condition & will make lots of money like it. They're also horrendously fragile if you plan to use it & spares are expensive IF you can find them. I'd keep it away from the kids if I were you....
Battery-wise, you don't NEED the big pack, it'll work fine on a normal 6V one, but running time will be less. Don't be tempted to run it on 7.2V though, as you risk frying the "Electronic" speed controller (It's actually a transistorised electro-mechanical controller, & they can be fixed if you've got the know-how).
You'd be wise to check the radio set-up before running it too - a lot of people make a hash of it, & with the huge amount of slop in all the linkages, it really needs to be set up as close to perfect as you can get it, particularly the speed control (You don't want it running away or crashing....).
Main thing to watch for if you plan to use it, are the crappy flatted axle ends, where they fit in the alloy hubs - any kind of hard use will round them out & new/good ones are nearly impossible to find. Another thing to check is the bolt in the back of the gearbox that secures the idler gear to the front prop drive - these always come loose, get left loose, & chew up the 4x4 gearing, & possibly 1st gear as well. Make sure it's tight, maybe threadlock it too! Don't be tempted by more powerful motors either, they'll murder the axles as previously described.
The gearbox doesn't need a huge amount of lubrication, a few drops of thin machine oil every 3 or 4 runs is enough. Don't use grease or it'll start missing gear selections. I've seen people go to great lengths to seal the gearboxes up properly so they'll actually hold oil, but what that ends up doing is just keeping the gearbox full of dirty oil & metal dust, which will wear everything out more quickly. Have the rubber plugs out & peer into the bottom of the gearbox with a torch - there's likely to be black sludge & rubbish in there if it's ever been run. If it looks really bad, it would be a good idea to strip the gearbox & clean it out, but don't attempt this until after you've had a proper look at any info/diagrams you can find & you know what you're letting yourself in for!
The front freewheeling hubs can sometimes not "bite" & hold properly in the freewheeling mode, this can be fixed by having them apart & cleaning. Don't grease them, it'll make them worse, the internals need to be clean, grease-free & rattly to work properly.
Into the nitty-gritty.... if you look at the driveshaft set-up, you'll notice there's no sliding joints, which is bad when used with leaf spring suspension (As the suspension moves, the axles move in an arc, not straight up/down, so effectively get closer to/further away from the gearbox, but the propshafts are trying to stop this happening). Mr Tamiya thought the easiest way around this would be to rubber mount the gearbox, to build some "give" into the setup. SO, it's a good idea to check these rubber mounts are still flexible enough to allow easy movement, or you could end up breaking UJs. Sliding props would've been better (...& were fitted to later models). Oh yeah, & the UJ grubscrews tend to keep coming loose, so threadlock those as well....

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.