Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another new Guy from the UK 11 years 9 months ago #10961

Hi everyone :)

i will try and keep this brief but going to go over how i got into tamiya rc cars and how i found this site :D hopefully it will make some sense :P

my first introduction to tamiya cars was in the early to mid 80's as a kid, when i saw the hornet, frog and the 'new' hotshot in a 80's Hamelys catalog (im guessing 1985 when the hotshot came out?) sadly my parents wouldn't (couldn't afford to) buy me one then so i had to make do with looking at them in shops etc (que miniature violins :P)

Fast forward a decade or so and i had bought an old mantaray and hornet from a friend alas they were in extremely poor condition, the manta ray had a broken stub axle and the hornet had many missing parts (plus both wer generally beat up and damaged) which at the time icouldn't get, this was pre ebay, and pre internet for me, and there was no one selling tamiya cars in my town then as both the model shops that used to sell them had shut, so sadly they were never run, and later got thrown out (yes i know.....)

A bit later on when i had some spare cash i bought a #58259 German Rally Subaru Impreza which was on the TB-01 chassis, it was hardly used for various reasons, mainly due to having nowhere to run it and that it was really bought as a second choice, i wanted the vw beetle m02 chassis but it had been deleted by then as had the blitzer (im a vw fan...)

I eventually sold it for

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ratchet.

Re: Another new Guy from the UK 11 years 9 months ago #10962

Welcome Ratchet great story i have recently built the re release blitzer kit myself they are a fantastic kit and are great fun to run just invest in a polycarbonate body first as the tamiya one will get destroyed otherwise and the polycarb ones are cheaper to replace. Id love some pics of your cars :)

Re: Another new Guy from the UK 11 years 9 months ago #10963

Yeah i got a polycarbonate kamtec baja shell which ill use most of the time to run, might get a stadium blitzer one too (there are a few originals on ebay atm) as that was another kit i wanted at one point

:) will post a few pics up soon sadly not many build ones as despite meaning to photo document the build i didn't :I

the tamiya body is in the final stages of prep before the last coat of paint, will get some pics up tonight of it, still waiting on the hornet to turn up sadly

Re: Another new Guy from the UK 11 years 9 months ago #10967

Looking forward to the pictures :y:

Id like to see that hornet too when it arrives one of my favourite cars cheap to run and fix and barrels of fun B)

Re: Another new Guy from the UK 11 years 9 months ago #10970

Welcome on board, Ratchet :y:

... mantaray and hornet ... got thrown out ...

Well, if we're confessing - I threw out a Frog, Avante :( ... and a Willy's Wheeler :pinch: :cry:

Re: Another new Guy from the UK 11 years 9 months ago #10976

Welcome, Ratchet. Great introduction. :y:

Re: Another new Guy from the UK 11 years 9 months ago #10977

Your life story sounds similar to mine! Always jealous of the other kids having RC cars & me being told we can't afford to get you one.... My first RC car was a result of being put to work (at 14) on Goldcrest's flop "Revolution". Got enough cash out of it to buy 2x new Grasshoppers complete (1 for me, 1 for my bro)

Re: Another new Guy from the UK 11 years 9 months ago #10980

glad i made some sense :p was trying not to be too long winded.. partial succeded

will get a thread up on my beetle soon, not sure if it should go in stock or modified though :I the hornet will be next, as soon as it appears, will likely be making a parts list soon after....

seems i have just 'acquired' a m-03 chassis mini too lol, so that will be getting a thread too i guess (its an ex racer but seems in ok condition apart for the shell and wheels) got from a friend of a friend who is thinning his fleet (he races mardaves now)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.