Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Newbie 11 years 6 months ago #14929

• davawt
  • davawt's Avatar Topic Author
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Hi guys, I'm new from the UK, Merseyside.
I just found this site and it looks a lot of fun and information, I am new to Tamiya and have just started trying RC cars (Tamiya Lunch Box - XB-RTR) bit old for building these days eyes not too good and clumsy fingers so just RTR or a very easy build job. I was more a model railway type but thought I would give this a try (RC model cars) and yes I got the bug. My first and as yet only model is a Tamiya Lunh Box XB RTR it's great fun, I have a motor on order a 55T to try to slow it down a bit while I learn around the house, I cant find a track round here and cant travel no car. Anyway I am away to give it another try in the loft big area, bye Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Newbie 11 years 6 months ago #14930

Welcome dave im from Merseyside too on the wirral you will find this website a goldmine of information :y:

Lunchbox is a great place to start B)

The dips in New Brighton is my local running area lots of open space so no damage :)
The following user(s) Liked this: davawt

Last edit: by tamiya nut.

Re: Newbie 11 years 6 months ago #14931

• davawt
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Cheers Tamiya Nut,
I never thought of the dips what a fool and only a bus ride away. Im busy sorting a bag right now to carry it, Ill give them a try (the dips) not the bags over the weekend weather willing.
take care, bye Dave

Re: Newbie 11 years 6 months ago #14933

Another "practice" option (Dare I say it...) is get a small scale cheapy car to thrash around the living room - I've got a Kyosho Mini-Z monster for those rainy days. Ok not so cheap, but you get the idea?

Although I've never tried it, I'd suspect a 55 turn won't slow the truck down a great deal top-speed wise, but should make it quite lively acceleration-wise

Re: Newbie 11 years 6 months ago #14935

• davawt
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Cheers eddrick
Sounds about right to me.
I am looking around ebay now to see about a knock about car, looking at a Midnight pumpkin I think they are the same chassis so will have a few options to swap around and mess with.
The 55T was an idea from the guy who sold me the lunch box to get better low end stuff, gentle finger presses my controller is a pistol type I am used to the std twin stick type so learning that as well.
take care, bye Dave

Re: Newbie 11 years 6 months ago #14936

Eeuuw! Not a fan of pistol controllers, I prefer sticks, always have. Gave up trying to use pistols, I just can't get the hang of pushing the trigger to stop/reverse!

Re: Newbie 11 years 6 months ago #14940

Welcome on board Dave - I don't anyone has ever regretted buying a Lunchbox :y:

... unless it't the first time they roll it on tarmac & scrape the paint :blink:

Anyway ... I think a 55T motor will reduce the top speed by around half - it might be a good training aid indoors, but I suspect as soon as you hit open ground you'll be looking at your watch, it'll be that slow :(

Regarding transmitters, I can't get on at all with any aspect of the steerwheel type ... or maybe I gave up too quickly. I believe the TX that comes with the XB series is a basic 2-channel, 27mhz type, so you could get a stick type one instead :)

Re: Newbie 11 years 6 months ago #14944

• davawt
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Yes this transmitter is not a natural control thing to me either I used to be a model tug man but far too heavy to get to the lake and back (without a car). I have an old setup somewhere with a stick type transmitter I will have to find it and set that up I think. Do you know if AM and FM work inter-connected? I have a thought that my old stuff was AM. anyway cheers for your help, bye Dave
PS- Yes they are all great when there shiny and new not so good scrapped a bit. The dips that are mentioned above are all grass and plenty of space so hopefully not to hard on the body shell :) .

Re: Newbie 11 years 6 months ago #14947

... Do you know if AM and FM work inter-connected? I have a thought that my old stuff was AM. ...

As far as I know, no :(

Re: Newbie 11 years 6 months ago #14950

• davawt
  • No Guts No Glory!
  • No Guts No Glory!
Thanks for the info, :y:
I will change the both around, Transmitter and receiver (when I find them :) ).
thanks again for your help, this site was a very good find just for that info alone I am learning fast though. bye Dave

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.