Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello All! New Member from New York1984 The Hornet 9 years 8 months ago #30932

Hello,

I need some advice. I have a built, original 1984 The Hornet in good condition with original box. Please let me know what you think this should go for. I have an idea but would like some professional opinions.

Thanks!!!!!!

Also please check out my listing for an unbuilt NIB 1984 The Grasshopper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kingdashscollection. Reason: introduction

Hello All! New Member from New York1984 The Hornet 9 years 7 months ago #30939

Hello and welcome, it is always nice to have new members sharing their builds :) As for your Hornet, I think you'll find that Adding some pictures of it will help :y: Cheers Andy.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Hello All! New Member from New York1984 The Hornet 9 years 7 months ago #30941

Thanks! Yes good point :side: Should have included pics in the beginning. Been a big fan of Tamiya racers forever but now its time to pass them on.

Last edit: by AndyAus.

Hello All! New Member from New York1984 The Hornet 9 years 7 months ago #30942

Unfortunately with the advent of the re-re these haven't held a good price and you can see them go from $50 to $100, of course yours is in good collectable condition with the box and period radio so you would expect to be at the high end. That being said something is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay.

Tip: click the insert button to add your images full size to your post :y:
The following user(s) Liked this: kingdashscollection

Hello All! New Member from New York1984 The Hornet 9 years 7 months ago #30943

Thanks for the helpful response! What is a re-re? Reproduction? Im sorry as I have been out of the game for a while. haha. I'm tempted to get it fired back up to let my nephew play with it. This will be something I will keep around for a while. I would rather sell my Grasshopper to a Tamiya collector than build it.

Thanks Andy! Is there anything special I should do to it to keep it in good condition?

Hello All! New Member from New York1984 The Hornet 9 years 7 months ago #30944

What is a re-re? Reproduction?

Spot on :y:

Is there anything special I should do to it to keep it in good condition?

Don't let your Nephew use it :laugh: I would check the gearbox to make sure any grease isn't gummed up which may cause unnecessary wear and the msc may need some switch lube. If it only has the nylon bushes you may want to upgrade them to bearings, also you might want to grab a set of basher wheels and keep the originals safe :)

Attachments:

Hello All! New Member from New York1984 The Hornet 9 years 7 months ago #30951

Welcome on board :y:

If I could make a bit of a correction, "re-re" (or even "rere" sometimes :whistle:) generally means "re-release" - i.e. Tamiya have re-issued the kit, usually with just a small number of changes/improvements, but sometimes a complete travesty... on the other hand "Repro" (or, all too often "repo" - there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of illiterate cretins) is the favoured short for reproduction. Tamiya have really cracked down on anyone appearing to make any money off their Intellectual Property though, so this is quite a limited market.

Values, I would have hoped a boxed Hornet with period radio + other bits & bobs in time warp condition would go for more like 150 USD, and about the same for the unbuilt Grasshopper, but you'd have to go for a fixed price lot on eBay with a lot of good photos & might have to wait achieve it.

Things have moved on a in terms of RC - bearings & motors have become a lot cheaper, an ESC (electronic speed control) is now a cheap default, nobody uses 4xAA batteries for the radio receiver (and servos) any more, NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries of capacities around 3700mAH are entry level & are rapidly becoming supplanted by Lipo (lithium polymer) packs, high tech chargers have replaced the wall wart, "brushless" motors are still a little pricey but can offer nitro engine equivalent power if that's your bag. Radios have moved on too, 2.4ghz sets mean much less interference & no crystal swapping.

None of that is compulsory BTW - but if you are planning to run it, bearings (nine 1150 + one 850) are a good idea, as is changing to an ESC (look for a cheap Tamiya TBLE-02 to start) for increased run times, better control & less fire risk.

My experience with RC cars driven by nephews is they seem to have two settings - flat out with random steering, or crashed :(

For this reason I'd also suggest a slower motor (look for a 540 sized motor of 45 turns or so) would make it last longer while you gauge his level of responsibility. Or perhaps that's just my nephew, at 18 I gave up on the idea of a car surviving a loan :whistle:

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: BramMeijer, kingdashscollection

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.