Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another newbie from Down Under 13 years 3 months ago #382

I was into rc cars as a young teenager. My first car was a Marui Galaxy (I nearly bought a Frog or Grass Hopper though), a short time later I bought a box of cars second hand, containing a Celica LB Turbo, Renault Martini and Hornet. Later I managed to buy a Fox from the local supermarket of all places. I remember also having a Tamiya catalogue that I would read nearly ever day, and there were many cars I wanted but couldn't afford, mainly the Hotshot, Hi-Lux and the Sand Scorcher.

Late last year after chatting with a friend who was doing up his rc car, I decided to see what I had left. The Fox was still in fairly good condition, the Renault I had started to paint as a kid, lost interest and it was still in the same condition, just dusty. The hornet has nearly been bashed to death (broken chassis, the rear shock absorbers keep falling off and the lexan body has too many cracks to count). The worst was the Celica, having used it as a rocket car at uni, (there are some pics now up), it did not survive my experiments very well, but I did learn about differential thrust! Now that I appreciate these older cars, I want to restore them, and with some newer cars I have recently collected share the fun with my kids.

The current list is:
Old hornet (have replaced the chassis and it still runs well, needs a new body though)
A new hornet (just build and already showing signs of wear, but a good basic and fun car)
Fox (I took it out for a run, and it still goes well)
Renault Martini Mk22 (not running, but won't take much)
Celica Turbo LB Mk5 (this needs the most work, currently still need to source a new body, rear axle (mine is slightly bent) and a new set of tires.
Hotshot - bought to restore, have ordered missing parts and made my own stabiliser bars from 2 mm aluminium.
Nichimo Luminous - I got this with the hotshot, just seems to be missing rear wing.
HBX - cheap chinese imitation TL01, I originally bought it for the radio gear, but have since decided to let the kids learn on this one
Dirt Thrasher - received from a friend, its missing the engine mount though, so can't use it at the moment.

Once I've fixed the current lot, I intend to collect some more. I like the older pan chassis style cars like the Celica, but I'll probably also hunt down the ones I yearned for as a kid. I'm also tempted to repeat the rocket car experiment. Anyway thats it for now,

cheers

Johann

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Another newbie from Down Under 13 years 3 months ago #384

Hi, and welcome to TamiyaBase.com
Your story about rediscovering the RC hobby is very similar to mine, only mine happened some years earlier.

I really love/hate your story about the Celica :blink: Must have been good fun at the time, but looking at it now, pure madness to destroy such a nice model :laugh:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Re: Another newbie from Down Under 13 years 3 months ago #386

Hi Lars,
yeah, I am kinda kicking myself now over what my friend and I did to the Celica, but it was fun, I just wished we'd used something different. We did video tape the first run as well, but can't seem to find the footage. The car went surprisingly fast, a lot faster that it was ever intended to go, so was in he end a poor choice for the job.

Still the car will re-live, except I am torn being using the cars and keeping them as shelf queens. I like the idea of getting more fun out of them, but I doubt I'll risk damaging them again.

cheers

Johann

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.