Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Road Tyres for NovaFox? 10 years 9 months ago #23037

Hey folks,

I had a Tamiya Fox as a kid and now as a Dad I have a NovaFox on order and need some help from y'all:

When I get the NovaFox I want to be able to run it outside on tarmac, so have been looking for some suitable road types but am confused! (as I know the oval block types it comes with will wear badly and I want to keep them for 'shelf queen display')...

Can anyone help recommend (URL links or part numbers please) suitable road types & wheels? e.g. for my Frog I fitted the Subaru Brat's wheels & tyres - I need something with a fairly flat tread pattern that will not wear too quickly.

Any help much appreciated :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Road Tyres for NovaFox? 10 years 9 months ago #23047

Hello & welcome onboard ... I can't really give that much help here, Tamiya use a rear hub fitting that's only used on a few of their older designs, whereas pretty much all modern cars use 12mm hex fittings - this really limits the options :(

Rear tyre dimensions are nominally 2.2", with 38mm width & 85mm rolling diameter (important to keep the gearing right) - I had a look round but didn't really find anything suitable in a road treaded pattern.

Oval blocks don't wear that rapidly on tarmac, so TBH my suggestion (until someone comes along with a better one) would be to get a set on Wild One wheels & tyres - basically the same thing as the Fox but without the plating.

Don't rush out & buy anything yet though ;)
The following user(s) Liked this: 4WheelRC

Road Tyres for NovaFox? 10 years 9 months ago #23070

No one?

Edou, I would have thought this one was right up your alley ?

Road Tyres for NovaFox? 10 years 9 months ago #23073

Thanks for the replies so far. Following an unhealthy amount of Googling, it looks to me like the 2.0" diameter tyres the Fox uses really restricts options for rear tyres that are suitable for road use (I'd love to be able to put something like these on the rear: www.wheelspinmo...tAod4TEAtw).

I finally found a downloadable .PDF or the original Fox instructions, so I could remind myself how the rear wheels fit on the axles (FYI for others: it is a 2mm x 10 shaft that slides through the drive shaft, then you fit a circular plastic adapter over it - the adapter has 4 holes in it, I guess to engage with lugs on the rear wheel).

I thought about getting the plastic circular wheel adapters the Frog/Brat uses, so I could use Brat wheels/tyres. But the rear axle 'stub' on the Fox (the length that sticks out past the outer bearing) is a lot shorter than a Frog/Brat, so that won't work.

Anyhoo, I am now wondering if using a hex adapter is the way to go (so I can use 2.2" wheels on the rear)? If so, what hex adapter do I need for the Fox:

1) I found "53913 Tamiya Frog Aluminium Wheel Adapter" adapter: www.fusionhobbi...el-adapter

... But that looks too long for the Fox axle (which is shorter than Frog/Brat)?

2) This looks better?: "53569 (OP569) Clamp Type Aluminum Wheel Hub": www.ebay.co.uk/...1e7855b14a

I'm guessing 2), but any help much appreciated :)

Btw, looks like I am asking a similar question for the Fox as others have for other Tamiyas - These threads have some useful information:

Grass Hopper: www.tamiyaclub....opic=58072
Avante: www.tamiyaclub....opic=67517

Last edit: by 4WheelRC.

Road Tyres for NovaFox? 10 years 9 months ago #23075

My thoughts were also to put some 12mm hexes on it...
But the length of the axle sticking out the gearbox seems quite short so I would try the thinnest ones you can find first.
I'd also get the type that you can fixate on the axle with a grub screw.

Hadn't responded to the topic yet because it hard to estimate what new rims will do to the total offset/width.
I'd probably just try a DT-02 wheel set (below are made by Carson - and cheap)...

Good taste on those Pro-Line Road Rages by the way.
Have an oversized set of these for my DF-01 :

B)

Last edit: by Edou.

Road Tyres for NovaFox? 10 years 9 months ago #23076

Hey Edou, many thanks for your reply :y:

I'm gonna try the "Tamiya 53569 (OP569) Clamp Type Aluminum Wheel Hub" and "Integy C23595Gun Aluminum 12mm Hex Wheel Hub (4mm Thickness)" and thinking about a set of "900028 Carson 2WD All Terrain Tyre Set - Chrome" (www.fusionhobbi...set-chrome) as they will do for road & rough.

Anyhoo, I will report back here on how the hex adapters fit the NovaFox (won't be for while though, as the kit doesn't get to Modelsport until August).

Btw, yeah Proline Road Rages FTW! ;) I have them for road use on my 1/8th Nitro Savage and love them. Your DF-01 looks very clean and most awesome!

Cheers :)

Last edit: by 4WheelRC.

Road Tyres for NovaFox? 10 years 9 months ago #23077

:y:

Looks like those Tamiya hexes have a grub screws after all (I was confusing them with item 53056)...
The Carson wheel set isn't the best quality (they could use some foams) but for the price they're great.
Would much appreciate to hear how it went - also for future Tamiyabase generations with a similar question.

:)

Road Tyres for NovaFox? 10 years 9 months ago #23081

I see the Carson wheels are £25 at Fusion Hobbies. Paid 15 euro myself... :huh: ;)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.