Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Sand Rover 2011 hole filling 12 years 4 months ago #5351

It does look a lot more suitable for off roading with those side panels...
Great details to hide the holes in the body. For the purpose of realism you might wanna strap them down though... :huh:
They could cause quite the headache when humping around or suddenly breaking. :lol:

Hahaha it would be a terrible tragedy if you knocked over your cooler box and all the beer fell out... hahaha :lol:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Sand Rover 2011 hole filling 12 years 4 months ago #5352

Very nice JR, I noticed however you use black styrene. I there a difference between the white and black? As far as I know, we only get the white styrene here in South Africa.

I think the main difference is that the black is more difficult to cut because 1/2 of the time you can't tell what's a shadow & what's styrene... and it also takes more primer. I tend to buy styrene sheets in bulk & black was a lot cheaper that time - but TBH I wouldn't buy it again.

Re: Sand Rover 2011 hole filling 12 years 4 months ago #5353

Found this link the other day, thought of you. :woohoo:

tamiyaclub.com/...7&id=14925

I saw that too ... I don't think he can claim that as an original idea though - my DT-02 based Grasshopper arrived with side panels like that, I just made them shiny ( www.tamiyabase....id=78#4444 ) :)

Re: Sand Rover 2011 hole filling 12 years 4 months ago #5355

It does look a lot more suitable for off roading with those side panels...
Great details to hide the holes in the body. For the purpose of realism you might wanna strap them down though... :huh:
They could cause quite the headache when humping around or suddenly breaking. :lol:

I'll think of somthing ... but only after painting the shell :)

Re: Sand Rover 2011 hole filling 12 years 4 months ago #5363

Bit more hole flling ... a plug & a bit of support for the underside:

Smoothed in with Milliput:

A bit of filling/smoothing/reinforcing under the "luggage":

Also needed to do something with the holes right at the front (which were used for screwing on the front body mount - 30 years ago :whistle:), so I dremmelled off the sticky out bits on the underside, patched the holes & gave it a first fill with Milliput:

Re: Sand Rover 2011 hole filling 12 years 4 months ago #5365

Also tackled those awful triangular holes on the front ... got to say I'm not overly happy with the result (although they will blend in a bit more with more filler & paint) - if Tamiya had done it properly to start with, these "power bulges" could have been 1/2 the height & 1/2 the surface area... and talking halves, overall I can even say they did a half-arsed job of mating the Sand Rover shell to the DT chassis - it's nowhere near that good - it's a lash up :angry:

Anyway, building up the core for the bulges in 1.5mm styrene sheet:

From the underside:

... lots of Milliput:

... wet sanded & balanced on:

Despite all the work so far, I'm not happy with these so I'm going to see if I can reduce the height by careful dremelling of the insides, and taking off the bottom layer of styrene.

Re: Sand Rover 2011 hole filling 12 years 4 months ago #5371

Well that went better than I'd feared it might - they still look like padded bra inserts, but at least they look like smaller padded bra inserts :D

Attachments:

Re: Sand Rover 2011 hole filling 12 years 4 months ago #5379

Looks great. Reminds me a bit of a snake or a gator... :huh: B)

Edit - it's a Cobra of course with his neck all stuck out! :woohoo:

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Sand Rover 2011 hole filling 12 years 4 months ago #5387

Looks great JR, you should ask Full Throttle about his mod for the front shocks that are exposed. He made a metal plate that fits in the hole. Looked great.

Re: Sand Rover 2011 hole filling 12 years 4 months ago #5399

Very nice job!!

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.