Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tamiya KBF - Long & Short Gearbox Joint 11 years 3 months ago #16843

• dreadly
  • dreadly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Part No 9805368 - This part appears to be hard to find specifically for the KBF, is this part the same as the TL01 & M03 etc? - They all appear to share the same part no.

It's just that on one of my KBF resto projects these joints are very worn and need replacing and I want to know if these re-re parts are the same.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Tamiya KBF - Long & Short Gearbox Joint 11 years 3 months ago #16846

That pair of joints must fit at least 1/3 of Tamiya RC cars - including the KBF :)

Re: Tamiya KBF - Long & Short Gearbox Joint 11 years 3 months ago #16847

• dreadly
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

That pair of joints must fit at least 1/3 of Tamiya RC cars - including the KBF :)

That's what I thought looking through various manuals I just couldn't quite believe it :) Thanks for confirming.
Do you know of any worthwhile hop-ups for the KBF BTW?

Re: Tamiya KBF - Long & Short Gearbox Joint 11 years 3 months ago #16849

Just the usual stuff like oil shocks, bearings, a 23T motor, ESC ... and a wheelie bar :)

I also tried sorting the assymetric steering & ludicrous bump steer on mine by fitting the steering servo centrally, and upside down, and a modified Frog underguard to protect it.
It does improve things, but it still really needs a much stiffer servo saver (or none at all), and a servo tough enough to cope with that.

These are some "work in progress" pics ... TBH I didn't get much further than that :whistle#:

Attachments:

Re: Tamiya KBF - Long & Short Gearbox Joint 11 years 3 months ago #16851

Last edit: by waterbok.

Re: Tamiya KBF - Long & Short Gearbox Joint 11 years 3 months ago #16852

• dreadly
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
When I first built my first ever KBF I was amazed at the improvements over the humble Monster beetle that I have spent so much time with, but then when I ran the KBF and witnessed the factory steering I wondered if Tamiya actually test drove there cars :ohmy:
It is awfull steering to be fair and I'm not going to try and improve it much over factory. The best I have managed is to remove the central steering swivel thing and use the MB type direct servo setup with a high torque servo saver and high torque BB servo. I had to make custom length servo rods.
Bump steer is just something to live with :S

I think the MB front end on the KBF chassis might handle really well, but the track would be wrong and the strength much reduced :huh:

Ahh well. I want another project now, preferably 4wd, strong, Tamiya and not so rare that I cannot get any parts... :woohoo:

Last edit: by dreadly.

Re: Tamiya KBF - Long & Short Gearbox Joint 11 years 3 months ago #16855

Ahh well. I want another project now, preferably 4wd, strong, Tamiya and not so rare that I cannot get any parts... :woohoo:

well that could be a Clod Buster, CR01 or a Dualhunter ;)

Re: Tamiya KBF - Long & Short Gearbox Joint 11 years 3 months ago #16859

:laugh:
TAMIYA is a hard drug :evil:
To build, I think that a CR01, a truck like aeromax or a F350 are the better projects.
I Had a real pleasure to build themes. (When I received boxes, it was like small orgasms :blink: :blush: )

Re: Tamiya KBF - Long & Short Gearbox Joint 11 years 3 months ago #16869

• dreadly
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

:laugh:
TAMIYA is a hard drug :evil:
To build, I think that a CR01, a truck like aeromax or a F350 are the better projects.
I Had a real pleasure to build themes. (When I received boxes, it was like small orgasms :blink: :blush: )

I know what you mean about the Tamiya drug :) An I'm not talking about sniffing 'restoration oil' B) - I have been building and restoring these things for 23years now on and off.

I like the look of the CR01, I really do, I would LOVE to build a Bruiser, but the money aint gonna happen :cry: I keep getting drawn to a model with dual motors for some reason, but I REALLY dislike the CLOD and the BULL for some reason, they just not my thang you know?? B)

I have recently built an M05 Mini, it was a little disappointing, as you don't appear to get much in the box but the result was half decent, I just don't understand why Tamiya sell ANY products without oil shocks anymore? But that aside it made me realise I prefer off-road.

Incidentaly, I bought my first LIPO charger the other day and plan on starting to 'move' that way for my more modern gear, I am also planning to manufacture my own batteries so I can go back to using NICAD's because I swear they give more punch :huh:

Re: Tamiya KBF - Long & Short Gearbox Joint 11 years 3 months ago #16871

;) I am ok with you about the oil dampers. Cars are enough expensive :S
I think that my best "longest" :P built is my Ford Aeromax with its trailer.
It was the time when I had money :cry: .
It has some hopup but not the sound.
lights electric legs and some aloy rims :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.