Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

XV-01 chassi 6 years 11 months ago #44096

Some chassis are more advanced than others, and the XV-01 is just that. That's why I'd like to dedicate this thread to the XV-01 so that we can gather any interesting discussion about it in one place. (I will probably do a thread about the DF-03Ra later as well.)

This website already has an excellent info-base on the XV-01, but to summerize briefly its main characteristics the XV-01 is a 2012 release, belt driven front motor 4WD rally type chassi, encapsulated and well protected against dirt, with oil filled gear diffs front and rear.

Here's my XV-01 just before getting its ESC and receiver installed.

Driving it is a smooth and quiet experience, the XV-01 flows like water on the ground with almost no sound at all other than the resonance of the tires. In the case of XV-01 you can actually hear the terrain your're driving on rather than the whining sound of the electric motor. I'm told this is thanks to its belt drive system. In fact I like this chassi so much I'd buy another one just to hear them in stereo!

There are a few official hop-ups for it, you may want aluminium shocks, or better uni-shafts, or swap some parts for carbon or alloy ones, but otherwise the XV-01 is a very well working design out of the box. I was curious about that Slipper Clutch though so I bought it. Yes, it's a sort of a clutch, and yes it will slip depending how hard you tighten it. But what currently puzzles me is how it will benefit my driving. I mean, when would I want a slip, or delay, between giving gas and my car's reaction!?

Looking at it simply, all it does is creating a delay between the pinion gear and the spur gear. The description says "This clutch protects the gears and improves power transmission on low-grip surfaces." - I say that's not so. Protecting the gears is never my strategy. The gears are my slaves and I am their master, always. Anything else is BS. *To drive* means to conquer the track and master the machine. There's nothing to "protect", gears grow like weed on ebay. As for how it "improves power transmission on low-grip surfaces", - oh please tell me how.

By slipping, which in our case means momentarily disconnecting the motor from the rest of the drive train, depending on how hard we tighten the spring we put pressure on the discs which in turn get friction gripping the spur gear, all we basically get is a 'rally car with a delayed gas'. Now, even if this type of mechanics may slightly ease the burden of a few gears, how can this have any positive effect on my driving? - I just cannot imagine why I would want this in my car. I'm grateful for any feedback on this.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

XV-01 chassi 6 years 11 months ago #44098

A slipper is used with very high torque motors. And heavy duty piloting. I have one on my slash brushless. I blocked it because of the power loose. So, after a big go on tarmac and a small wheeling, I exploded the rotor.
The slipper avoid that, protect gears and all the transmission. But I think that with a silvercan you don't need it. It is used with hard offroading.
A slipper, like you wrote work like a clutch but need to be trimmed very well.
I have 2 RCs with slippers and all are locked. Too hard to trimm, and without interest for me (except the slash wich is too powerfull for me).

XV-01 chassi 6 years 11 months ago #44099

I really want a xv01 ;)

XV-01 chassi 6 years 11 months ago #44101

.. that won't do it, Sting. You have to really, really, really want an XV-01. Only then will you buy it. ;)

Thanks for all good info on the slipper, Sting. I hear you with that "trimming and adjusting". Pretty soon we'll be trimming and adjusting the whole day, not driving at all.

I too figure the slipper is only needed where high rpm:s are present, perhaps then to keep the belt from snapping. But this would not apply to my silver can setup.

XV-01 chassi 6 years 11 months ago #44107

The slipper clutch will accommodate two functions, as far as I can see:
1. Protect the gears from damage caused by a powerful motor and rough/changing surface providing feedback from the ground back into the drive train.
2. Improve the handling of the car, based on the same conditions as item 1.

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

XV-01 chassi 6 years 11 months ago #44108

Great topic, btw ! :-)
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

XV-01 chassi 6 years 11 months ago #44113

That was the surface changing wich killed my slash motor. Sleepy sand to tarmac. The wheeling was awesome but the result........ :D awesome too

XV-01 chassi 6 years 11 months ago #44115

Thanks for you input guys. Well, I'm keeping the clutch still. Perhaps I will find a use for it. I've already ordered two types of brushless motors on ebay, maybe one will end up in the XV01.

XV-01 chassi 6 years 11 months ago #44119

Nice! It will be a dragster...

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.