Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 8 months ago #11670

A real noise? Like, not one he imagined? ...

Maybe someone broke wind as he drove it past & he got confused :whistle:

It's possible - someone in my family (they will remain nameless) does an excellent impression of a motorbike, complete with Doppler shift :pinch:

I think it's a sidevalve BTW ... possibly a Rudge, maybe a JAP, dut definitely with an open pipe :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 8 months ago #11671

Springs as they came out of the ultrasonic cleaner:

... & after painting with rust killer ... I'm not at all sure about the strangely brown/gold tinge they've taken on, but at least they won't rust any futher :whistle:

After a bit of swapping over, this is the rear body mount setup off my shelfer - so this is what it should be:

... and this is the best selection of bits I have; it'll be functionally correct, but I don't imagine it will be that pretty :blush:

Attachments:

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 8 months ago #11685

Finished the rear body mount - it's a bit of a lash up, but it's all off the shelf bits so I don't think I've done too badly there - in part thanks to my razor saw. It's not something that gets used that often, but it makes quick & very fine cuts in plastic that need only a very light tickle with wet n dry afterwards.

The other missing bits that was causing me a bit of worry was the MSC plate, though I would have settled for the alloy bar used on the re-re Frog & Brat ... but I did find some rough looking 4.8mm OD, 2mm ID tubes in my spares box. A bit undersized, but I thought two smaller tubes would do at least as good a job as one larger one ... I cut them down, tapped M2.5 threads in each end & gave them a quick "brushed" effect by spinning them in my cordless drill with a bit of wet n dry paper.

I just hope the tubes weren't anything rare :D

I think I'm about ready to start on assembly - though ideally I'd secure another Bush Devil rear wheel & tyre on the cheap...

Attachments:

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 8 months ago #11697

Black smeg from a fanned motor, you're thinking brush dust? - could it get through the front motor vents into the gearbox? Or are you thinking the fan might've dragged crap in from somewhere else, through the 'box?
I'd suggest more likely from mazak gears riding over eachother, kinda fits better with what we already know about the MB & what was said about the gearbox noise in the listing? Er, black smeg... gears contacting gearbox side plates, brass from the pinion, ground up material from ballraces (Outdrive bearings), dry bronze bearing material (Motor front bearing?)? Was it from Birmingham, could someone have had their dinkle in there?

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 8 months ago #11706

Well I found the problem - a chewed up end on one of the half shafts (hex dog bones) :cry:

Has anyone got a spare one? I looked at the cost of buying re-re Frog/Brat parts or the upgrade set, but I'd have to sell the car to afford it ... but then I wouldn't have the car & no need to sell it to buy the bits ... :huh:

Part # for the halfshaft is 2595007 BTW.

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 8 months ago #11707

Black smeg from a fanned motor, you're thinking brush dust? - could it get through the front motor vents into the gearbox? Or are you thinking the fan might've dragged crap in from somewhere else, through the 'box?
I'd suggest more likely from mazak gears riding over eachother, kinda fits better with what we already know about the MB & what was said about the gearbox noise in the listing? Er, black smeg... gears contacting gearbox side plates, brass from the pinion, ground up material from ballraces (Outdrive bearings), dry bronze bearing material (Motor front bearing?)? Was it from Birmingham, could someone have had their dinkle in there?

It looked more like ground up rubber than anything :blink:

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 8 months ago #11712

Er.... O-rings used as diff-shims?

Driveshafts - yeah I know I'm a skinflint, but what about making a set? - use 2x hex bolts with the right size head, file the corners off the hexes enough that they'll fit & spin at an angle in the cups, then screw them into a suitably tapped round rod, (Or connector nut, or electronics "standoff"), using threadloc, CA etc to keep them in? (Or drill/crosspin). What size (Across flats) is the hex?

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 8 months ago #11717

Er.... O-rings used as diff-shims?

Driveshafts - yeah I know I'm a skinflint, but what about making a set? - use 2x hex bolts with the right size head, file the corners off the hexes enough that they'll fit & spin at an angle in the cups, then screw them into a suitably tapped round rod, (Or connector nut, or electronics "standoff"), using threadloc, CA etc to keep them in? (Or drill/crosspin). What size (Across flats) is the hex?

I think it was 1:1 tyre rubber debris, that's why I'm questioning the wisdom of fan motors - at least without some sort of gasket.

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 8 months ago #11718

Ok, build pics ...

Steps 1 to 5 are connecting radio gear (presumably to neutralise servos) & the MSC, so kind of irrelevant here ...

Step 6 is basic chassis construction ... and yes, I did forget the bumper holder :whistle:

Steps 7 & 8 are fitting the two servos, RX & MSC, so amended slightly here...

I know this will be a runner, but I still thought the steering rod ends were a bit too chewed up ... the previous owner has followed the manual though - it tells you to use radio pliers to fit them :blink:

Steps 9, 10, 11: fitting steering rods, MSC setup :whistle: and building front uprights:

Killed some rust on a few more bits ... before:

... anf after:

Steps 12 & 13, fitting front wishbones & the bumper stay I forgot earlier :whistle:

Re: Monster Beetle ... of sorts? 11 years 8 months ago #11719

Steps 14, 14 & 16 - front shock tower, servo cover & rear diff:

Steps 17, 18, 19 - gearbox:

Steps 20 & 21 - driveshafts & rear arms:

Steps 22 to 27 - building & fitting shocks:

Steps 28 (toe in), 29 (bumber & underguard), 30 (motor mount & pinion):

Steps 31 to 34: rear body mount, bumper plate, motor fitting, wheels ... front wheels I had to space out on M5 washers to stop the front uprights & steering arms jamming on the tyres, so I really don't want to run it like this ...

"Finished" - apart from completing a correct set of wheels & tyres, and replacing at least the one half shaft:

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.