Keyword

TOPIC:

Willy M38 F&R hex conversion 11 years 1 month ago #19726

after sorting through screws bits and M38 pieces for over three hours this idea just apperated. :woohoo:
I somehow got these steering bits and bling 1+1 put together came up with this.

M38 front arm, ? steering knuckle, some bushings and a M chassis front axle.

next is creating (on paper) an adapter for the rear axle, thats something I have been fiddling with for some time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Willy M38 F&R hex conversion 11 years 1 month ago #19737

Why do you need an adaptor for the rear? Aren't they already 12A/F hex?

Willy M38 F&R hex conversion 11 years 1 month ago #19744

I want to replace/change that round cast axle end where the bearing is on the outside so the axle rotates on/in the bearing instead the wheel on the bearing, that way with an 12mm hex it should be possible to use 'normal' wheels. this means probably changing 2 parts the axles and the cast axle end tubes.

will make a sketch in the next days

Willy M38 F&R hex conversion 11 years 1 month ago #19748

Nice work on the front end :y:

As for the rear - as I see it, it's that dirty great bearing not being fixed to the hub that's the problem ... the "obvious" fix is new axle tubes with a lump on the outboard end so you can get a bearing in it (1150 or 1050) or maybe a larger OD (?) tube to use an 850, & grasshopper axles cut down/new thread cut - assuming they're not hardened :whistle:

(I haven't measured anything, I'm just visualising this so may be way off, BTW)...

I would have thought a more elegant fix would be to use a smaller outboard bearing (a 1680?) on the end of the shaft, and "fix" the bearing to the hub by means of a flat, shallow cup with a tight fitting hex hole at its centre?

:)

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Willy M38 F&R hex conversion 11 years 1 month ago #19756

yep something in those directions. :y:

and I do like how that front bit came out. (even if its not tamiya)

Willy M38 F&R hex conversion 11 years 1 month ago #19772

...oh yeah, forgot about that bearing setup on the rear.

Problem is, how far do you go with it, I mean, the axle isn't threaded at the end & the existing hex/thread adaptors are just begging to get broken, so would it be better to just come up with new tubes AND sensible axles that use standard pins + hexes? ie start foddimying right at the gearbox?
In fact, ditch the lot & put a sensible drivetrain in it! (They remind me of VCRs - tons of bits & they only ever workk properly when new)

Willy M38 F&R hex conversion 11 years 1 month ago #19775

Alternativ gearbox could be the one from the DT01/LB they have quite some parts that are (almost) similar.
Most of the gears fir and maybe the axles of the LB are usable.
Would 850 bearings be up to the job or will they burn up?

think will be taking my LB gearbox apart tomorrow and have a look.

Willy M38 F&R hex conversion 11 years 1 month ago #19781

I would've thought 850s would survive, especially if you double them up, or the other option is look at needle roller bearings or bronze bushes.
If it were me, I'd be considering machining out the end of the tube to form a "bucket" for the biggest bearings I could get in there & still have approx 1mm+ meat left all round (ie bearing O/D + tube O/D -2mm). Not much stopping you fitting a steel collar to the outside of the tube if you wanted to go thinner on the wall thickness.

A complete gearbox swap (Lunchy, like you say) might be less effort, but there might well be gearing problems, depending on what wheels you had in mind (You might end up re-inventing the horrendousness that is the Monster Beetle!)

Can't believe you're making me think about this - I've got visions of M38 body on Hilux axles & leaf springs now! As if I didn't already have a head full of non-started projects!

Willy M38 F&R hex conversion 11 years 1 month ago #19828

really getting the hang of librecad (well almost) :whistle:

that should be able to hold 2x850s and would leave approx 15mm axle sticking out.

more tomorrow

Willy M38 F&R hex conversion 11 years 1 month ago #19832

Is the drawing for a 1-off special axle tube, or for modifying an existing kit one?

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.