Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My Take on the Grasshopper II 7 years 4 months ago #41759

How do i even begin with this project? I think it takes me back to when the grasshopper 2 was introduced. I remember taking my sister to the hobby shop to replace our hornet. We looked around at something similar and found both the Grasshopper 2 as well as the Super Hornet. One look and we were completely sold on the Super Hornet. I don't know what it was but nothing ever struck a chord with me about the Grasshopper 2 which is odd because I absolutely love the Grasshopper.
Fast forward a couple of decades and driving my sisters Super Hornet, when we bought that day, it occurred to me that I didn't have my own Super Hornet so I might as well find one. As usual I found a complete pile of garbage and bought it but as I laid out all the cars I realized that something was missing. I even have a Rising Fighter to round out the set but there was that hole where a grasshopper 2 should be parked.
I located a remarkably clean Super G version that looked to have been hardly ever used. I paid next to nothing for about 2 years ago with a very nice body complete with original decals and parked in amongst its brethren. I took one look at it sitting there with its siblings and promptly put it away. It just didn't fit for me. The sad thing was I always wanted to love the Grasshopper 2.
I decided that the grasshopper deserve better than sitting in my tub-0-hornets (yes I have a tub of many hornets). I decided to remove the car and re-envision it. I thought “why don't I like this car?” Best I could come up with was I thought the car needed a wing, some greens, and some direction in its color scheme. The standard grasshopper was okay but the Super G had so many more colors that and nothing, in my eyes, jived.
I started off by designing a new wing for the car the followed the contour perfectly as well as matched the muted lines of the shell. From there the body was stripped-down, sanded and smoothed out and the vents on the cowl removed.
The stripes are all hand mask and spray painted. I decided that I liked the original look of the decals on the Hopper 2 but it was that blue that just didn't work. I couldn't just make the blue-green because that also wouldn't look perfect though I really like how it does look. I decided to look back at the original and add a second green to break up the contrast. I modified had some custom decals made for the wing to get rid of the yellow and use some custom decals on the auxiliary lights that I also installed.
Once that was completed, everything was clear coated over including all decals, the wing was installed, auxiliary lights, and Big Daddy Evans was finally put in. The yellow shocks have been switched to my Super Hornet and the neon yellow wheels will be used another project. The stock wheels and tires have come from Chile (care of mongoose) and I think help the car look like it's father.
As for the electronics, I installed a 380 motor, Novak roosters speak control, Futaba receiver and servo and my usual broken servo with non-operational mechanical speed control. The car has full ball bearings and runs like a champ.
For me this car turned out better than I could've anticipated. I was genuinely terrified that my paint scheme was going to look stupid. I do want to be very clear that there was always a special place in my heart for the Grasshopper 2, I just didn't know where that place was. I don't think there was ever a Grasshopper 2 on this website that I didn't look at and want but just want a little bit differently.

And here it is now with my double wishbone front end installed:

If you want to see how I striped the car, here is a link:
How to Stripe Your Car
Here is the suspension installation:
Zero Mod double wishbone Front Suspension

I hope you enjoy!
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63

Please Log in to join the conversation.

My Take on the Grasshopper II 7 years 4 months ago #41762

Very nice work on this GH2. And the combo decals+ wing is realy beautifull :y:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.