Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Scored a vintage Tamiya lot, King Blackfoot, Ford Focus WRC, 2x Fighter Buggy RX 2 years 6 months ago #68964

Hey folks!
I was just able to score a box with a bunch of cars and parts, well below 100€
In the two boxes DHL just delivered were:
- one King Blackfoot. Crusty but complete and mostly intact, I guess, The rear bumper is missing I have just started cleaning it
- one Ford Focus WRC, good condition as far as I can say it for now
- two Fighter Buggy RX, relatively complete but crusty as well
- some old 1500mAh batterie packs that probably have no life left
- handful of chargers
- bunch of Sanwa stick remotes with the old receiver units (those where you had to swap the quartz pieces when you wanted to race a friend to not interfere with their remotes)
- bits and pieces, screws, all original manuals and a plastic bag from a RC shop in the UK. Since the sellers name is "Smith", I guess he might have moved to Germany and brought his old Tamiyas with him
I'd say not too bad for under 100€

The plan is to rebuild one of the fighter buggys in a "Mad Bullfighter RX Memorial" style with black body, oil shocks, gold rims and maybe the Memorial Edition Decals.
I might also throw in a torque tuned that I still have, new bearings and an ESC.

For the King Blackfoot I'm thinking of the same electronics setup, oil shocks and a wheelie bar if it's needed. I'm also looking out for a muscle car or Mopar body. Chevelle, Charger, Ford Ranchero, Gran Torino... El Camino would be nice too. 

Should be able to post some before and after photos of the cleaning process later.
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Jonny Retro, stingray-63, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Scored a vintage Tamiya lot, King Blackfoot, Ford Focus WRC, 2x Fighter Buggy RX 2 years 6 months ago #68970

I'm guessing the bag was it was a Beatties holdall? Their stores across the midlands were a big part of a lot of peoples' childhoods &/or youth. 

The earliest is blue with white print @ the a not very PC Golly, then at least 3 versions in black with yellow print, then a blue one with very 90s looking print.

They all have some value, just not the silly asking prices you might see on eBay ATM.

I was too far south & east for that; the bag to have in my youth was the giant red (with black print) Model Junction carrier bag :) 

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Scored a vintage Tamiya lot, King Blackfoot, Ford Focus WRC, 2x Fighter Buggy RX 2 years 6 months ago #68974

The bag says Academy Hobby Model Kits. It‘s white with black/red/blue print. Has a tank, airplane, car and boat on it. 
Just finished cleaning the Blackfoot, one of the Buggys is next. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Scored a vintage Tamiya lot, King Blackfoot, Ford Focus WRC, 2x Fighter Buggy RX 2 years 6 months ago #68975

Dude a pretty nice kbf. 
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Scored a vintage Tamiya lot, King Blackfoot, Ford Focus WRC, 2x Fighter Buggy RX 2 years 5 months ago #68982

The bag says Academy Hobby Model Kits. It‘s white with black/red/blue print. Has a tank, airplane, car and boat on it. 
J...

I got carried away, in the wrong direction :D

Academy is a brand of static plastic kits that's popular in UK model shops, IIRC I've had a couple of them and was quite impressed, though not enough to remember exactly what the kits were. I read recently that they're actually Korean.

:)  

Scored a vintage Tamiya lot, King Blackfoot, Ford Focus WRC, 2x Fighter Buggy RX 2 years 5 months ago #68983

I had a KBF for a while & did try to improve it - central (and upside down) steering servo & improved rods, CVA shocks, Sport Tuned motor & wheelie bar, Sand Scorcher paintwork (:whistle:) ... what I remember most is that while there were improvements to the handling, the inside front wheel would still flap about from straight ahead to full lock under power, and the turning circle was still enormous :D   

Scored a vintage Tamiya lot, King Blackfoot, Ford Focus WRC, 2x Fighter Buggy RX 2 years 5 months ago #68984

Yes, it actually cleaned up pretty nice.
There is one of the press nuts from the B parts bag missing so the front crash bar is just fixed with two bolts right now. Might try to replace it with a standard  nut and a tiny bit of hot glue.
That and the missing rear bumper are the only two downsides of this buy. Only minor scratches on the bottom and axles so I guess the KBF has only been driven a couple of times and has then been stored away full of mud for the last 25 years.
I had the tires in the washing machine for a quick spin and they came out pretty good as well.
Now I'm just waiting for an ESC, new shocks, and I need new new adjusters for the steering rods. The old ones look like they've been chewed on. After that it's time for a test ride. If it drives well I'll start looking for an El Camino body.

Until that, I will try and clean up the Fighter Buggy RX

Scored a vintage Tamiya lot, King Blackfoot, Ford Focus WRC, 2x Fighter Buggy RX 2 years 5 months ago #68985

I already noticed that RC and static plastic models seem to be a lot more popular in the UK than they are in Germany. 

Attachments:

Scored a vintage Tamiya lot, King Blackfoot, Ford Focus WRC, 2x Fighter Buggy RX 2 years 5 months ago #68987

Academy built grasshopper 1 copy with a ugly hummer body. And makes very good quality static kits almost similar to tamiya.

Scored a vintage Tamiya lot, King Blackfoot, Ford Focus WRC, 2x Fighter Buggy RX 2 years 5 months ago #69118

I'm also looking out for a muscle car or Mopar body. Chevelle, Charger, Ford Ranchero, Gran Torino... El Camino would be nice too. 

Kamtec.co.uk have some Chevy and Dodge, and few other US, body shells.  They aren't super high detail, but still recognisable.  I've got a 57 Chev that i'm going to use for a drag car.

Last edit: by Ducksnuts.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.