Keyword

TOPIC:

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11265

Condition doesn't matter to me - if I can't get it working/usable, it's a good pile of spares to keep my gear going! Yep

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11278

Smashing, cheers! Tis paid & on its way.... If you could just send me a quick PM to let me know when you post it, I'll know when I need to be keeping an eye out for the postie, ta

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11425

got my new hornet rear tyres today, so did some work on the rear wheels

first i stripped them down all came apart ok, went in to bad condition, few gouges on the rims particularly on one side

not the best photography, but you can see the damage, minor compaired to what ive seen fixed onhere

once i had them apart using a i put the outer rims face down on a sheet of 240 grit paper and sanded the faces till the gouges were gone, didn't have to take much off, ater that i geve them a quick sand with 800 grit

i was going to leave them at that, but they had yellowed a bit, so i got out my airbrush and gave them a few coats of Tamiya xf-2 flat white, i thinned it to start with but turns out that its thin enough already so had to clean it off and start again (it ran everywhere),

Its not a perfect job but 100% better then before, no idea how well it will hold up though,

I did paint the inner part of the wheels too, but the center part that sits inside the tyre i didn't bother with as you only see a tiny part of it when fitted, and this isn't going to be an 100% shelfer.. ( knowing me i may go back and redo them at some point though, unless i get hold of a new set of wheels for less then

Last edit: by Ratchet.

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11429

Nice bit of rescuing - the wheels look good :y:

edit - yes I still have the front wheels & tyres, + I had a hunt around & can do you a set of stainless M2 cap head machine screws (8mm for the front, 10mm for the back) + nuts for some added bling B)
The following user(s) Liked this: Ratchet

Last edit: by Jonny Retro.

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11434

Nice work. :y:
Another method for whitening I've seen around is hydrogen peroxide and ultraviolet light - seems to work well.
No problem getting spares so far, I see... :cheer:

unless i get hold of a new set of wheels for less then

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11455

yeah, i meant the whole set, including tyres. its seems the nuts/bolts, are the hard to find bit.. although i'm probably looking in the wrong places :side:

i did see those alloy wheels, and very nice they look too, maybe a bit bling for this project, have got them saved in my 'wish list' though, so if this weeks lottery ticket is a winner :P

Might give that peroxide method a go, i have seen guys use similar chemicals on car coolant bottles (made of some kind of nylon usually) wasn't sure if it would affect the plastic the wheels are made from but i guess no.

i had the white paint handy hence using it though

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11467

I had some luck on eBay for tiny (stainless) M2s from Germany not too long ago. :y:
But I'm sure the British members would also know where to find some nationally if you need them...
This seems to be the cheapest solution on eBay when it comes to original parts at the moment :

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11472

... I'm sure the British members would also know where to find some nationally if you need them......

I've had a lot of stuff from www.modelfixings.co.uk/ ... not cheap, but a huge range - lots of obscure sizes that are difficult to get anywhere else.

eBay too - I've had lots of stuff, especially from a seller called globalengineeringmaterials ... pricing is well random & postage can add up rapidly, so check the quantities & the costs - sometimes it's much cheaper to buy 100 of something rather than 10 :blink:

I tend to cheat & get A2 Stainless Cap Head machine screws for everything, including M3 screws what "should" be self tapping screws :)

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11473

@ Ratchet - your nuts .. pause for Two Ronnies reference to sink in ;) .. (along with the M2 cap head screws for the wheels, wheels & tyres) went in the post this morning.

I'm cheap so I sent them 2nd class, so I guess they'll arrive on Saturday :)
The following user(s) Liked this: Ratchet

Re: Hornet restoration 11 years 9 months ago #11478

@ Ratchet - your nuts .. pause for Two Ronnies reference to sink in ;) .. (along with the M2 cap head screws for the wheels, wheels & tyres) went in the post this morning.

I'm cheap so I sent them 2nd class, so I guess they'll arrive on Saturday :)

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.