Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My first Hotshot 2 rebuild 11 years 7 months ago #13095

• Si06
  • Si06's Avatar Topic Author
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
HI guys well i just bought this mess from e Bay and its going to be one of two Hot shot 2's i am gonna do over the winter month's the first attempt i going to be a runner this will be modified with duall alloy front shocks alloy/CF front bumper ect ect will still be a HotShot 2 but not as we know it it will be use to muck about in my back grden and chase the dog about with.

The other is going to be a total new build from NIB parts from the internet i already have alot of the large plastic components its the running gear i cant get hold of drive shafts ect.

And if any one has info on body shells for the HotShot 2 please let me know i need two here are some pic's of the mess i just bought for pennies on ebay this will be the every day car.

Any advice or parts you might know of please message me with details
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Si06. Reason: Typo's

Re: My first Hotshot 2 rebuild 11 years 7 months ago #13103

Oeh, my hands are getting itchy. A car like this should give some nice "before" and "after" pics. :cheer:
Team Bluegroove has a Hotshot 2 shell if you don't mind not going original...

The following user(s) Liked this: Si06

Re: My first Hotshot 2 rebuild 11 years 7 months ago #13431

• Si06
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Right oh well the Hot shot 2 arrived the week end and it was filthy to the nth degree and i mean filthy so i striped it down and gave it all an over night soke in some TFR (Trafic film remover) and rebuit it to see where i am at with it

so far i need a full ballrace set as this has nasty plasitc bushes at the moment the front lower suspention arm pins are bent and the car wont set it self when you push the front suspention down it just wont pop back up the front shocker has no oil in it (not a great suprise) and the front shock rod is bent too wich make's me think this Shot has been landing on its front HARD quite alot would also explain the missing front bumper thats the bad news.

The good news is its all still there mius the body and front bumper even the mech speed controler works like a treat and with the trinity procar 21 turn motor its pretty rapid too even if the car is still plastic bushed so for what i paid wich was not alot its not been too painfull to be honest i think its a honest HotShot 2 thats been used well and the just left in the shed waiting to be rescued and given some love.

photo is of the front suspention not setteling back into position
Attachments:

Re: My first Hotshot 2 rebuild 11 years 7 months ago #13434

Well the front shock is known to be the weak spot of the hotshot 2.
If you gonna use the car alot i advice you get a new front suspension set with the 2 upright shocks.
Further the HS 2 is a great car, was one of my first resto's i did and i enjoyed every minute of it :)
Have fun with this one!

Cheers, Bram
Restoring Countach 58005
Restoring 58015 RR
Restoring 58098 F40
Restoring King Cab and Monsterracer
Restoring Audi Quattro rally
Restoring Mk.1 Sand Scorcher
Restoring Porsche 936

Re: My first Hotshot 2 rebuild 11 years 7 months ago #13435

• Si06
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
yea allready orderd the dual alloy shock mounts from ebay and alloy bumper and a full balrace set and body from team bluegrove.

just thinking what alloy tamiya shocks would fit this and give it the right rebound as its a heavy buggy

Last edit: by Si06.

Re: My first Hotshot 2 rebuild 11 years 5 months ago #15177

• Si06
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!

Well after 5 weeks of trouble free running i have Pulled the Hotshot 2 to bits in readyness for its rebirth this is going to be the first one i do so will be modded but keeping the orignal look of the buggy the picture is of what the car now looks like (a pile of bits)
if you look at the pic the parts in the bottom right are what need replacing wich isnt alot considering suspention arms top of tub has a crack and one of the dog bones is bent.

I have on order a full alloy shock set in silver from Ansmann 1 front 2 rears alloy front small bumper alloy wheel hubs.
Full ballrace set is here as well as the TBG Body wich will be painted in its orignal livery with original decal set a full orignal screwbag set as well as new suspention pins and a set of drive shafts.

I just need the impossible to find access hatch cover and the body post to finish parts list and i can rebuild her the trinity motor has had new brushes and made the buggy properly quick (with plastic Bushes) but i will replace this with a Tamiya Super Stock BZ Motor i also have the Tamiya TEU-105BK ESC ready to go in.

Really looking forward to getting all the bits here so i can take her out and give her a good run down i have waited 22 years to own and run one of these buggys again and cant wait.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Si06. Reason: typos

Re: My first Hotshot 2 rebuild 11 years 5 months ago #15189

Tip for straightening ben shock rods/pins etc (For future) - put the "good/straight" end in a drill (Or lathe) chuck & tighten the chuck to the point where you can only just slide the pin in it. Then, slide the pin into the chuck until it starts to stick. That will be where the bend is. Rotate the chuck & even the slightest bend should now be fairly obvious, so tweak it back gently. Keep rotating the chuck & tweaking the rod until it looks straight.

as for the soggy front end, that was a mid-80s Tamiya thing - the original Hotshot was like it, as was the Wild One, & Hornet rear.
Don't forget though, under acceleration (& when airborne) the front suspension will be fully extended no matter how soggy the spring.

One could say, look at the Hotshot(1) boxart, it's supposed to be like that!

Re: My first Hotshot 2 rebuild 11 years 5 months ago #15918

HI!... As for the hatch cover, just get a new one from the RE-RE HOTSHOT. The body bolt too. If your going accurate with it then you will have to drill two small holes in the hatch cover and use the body bolt mount that still comes connected to all the new HOTSHOT chassis's.

My first Hotshot 2 rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22449

• Si06
  • Anytime Baby!
  • Anytime Baby!
Well got my son Hotshot 2 going again now with all new bearings shafts and prop shaft took it down the local park to give him some run time and he pulled of the perfect landing I have seen any novice doo first time out.

now I just have to fit the new bumper and paint the body and his Hotshot 2 runner is done will take some nice close ups of what it looks like now

Last edit: by Si06.

My first Hotshot 2 rebuild 10 years 10 months ago #22453

Great car B)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.