Keyword

TOPIC:

my first restoration Toyota Celica GT-Four (TA01) 11 years 3 weeks ago #20533

Not forgot you guys...

Well, resto's coming nicely, I got the mechanical speed controller, already installed it , was from a pulley based chasis (ta4?) don't got the leaflet here, simple, is the same regulator, same everything, but the linkage rod had to be shortened and I cannibalized the resistor to look more alike the TA1 one

When disassembling the chassis I found 4 of the bearings where tamiya 1990 vintage originals (with blue center) I recommissioned them as wheel bushings (because those are the only visible bearings)

I'm still waiting all the red parts from mail, also a power switch, with that I'll get a rolling chassis, and fulfill point 1 of the restoration.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

my first restoration Toyota Celica GT-Four (TA01) 11 years 2 weeks ago #20702

Got the parts I burn the month's budget on.

the new red parts were a mix of 1993 and 1999 vintage, I put all of them new (there were a few originals uncracked but decided to renew them all) the motor I borrowed it from a XB pajero, still wait for my robinson steel 21 gear. the hot glue holding the throttle servo is because I don't got the required there part (and it came on the biggest sprue tree in the kit, not going to buy that for just a piece)

Also I borrowed a 75mhz rx from parts box (age accurate futaba) I can't not roll at this moment but tried it with voltage and found the mech speed regulator to be quite smooth.

my first restoration Toyota Celica GT-Four (TA01) 11 years 1 week ago #20728

:y:

my first restoration Toyota Celica GT-Four (TA01) 11 years 1 week ago #20845

I tried to run in the present condition, first trouble, even as the gear is 21, mounted the engine as a 21, it don't engages on the spur by a long shot, I wanted to be sure the spur was original, and I found all it got engraved was "ROC" and "MANTA RAY" in two lines, so at least the part is from tamiya.... (yes, I know Manta Ray and TA01 are the same) but dunno, perhaps Tamiya made different sized spurs? Motor Gear got '21' clearly engraved, and I found a table of equivalences of the different TA spurs, but two attempts got me with scrapping spur after few laps... The spur looks fine, so it can take some beating, but not a lot.

my first restoration Toyota Celica GT-Four (TA01) 11 years 6 days ago #20862

Solved it by myself, at the someone pretended to make the car a 'quick runner' by installing the smallest spur available (66), luckily I picked the 21 pinion (the smallest one fitting that spur) now work like a breeze (almost) still i got the fact that sometimes the car doesn't stop when I let go the throttle (the servo fail to return to exact centre, like if regulator is too stiff)

also fixed, a couple drops of oil on non conducting friction points and trim playing solved it...

I also saw how hot gets the resistor, wondering about fitting there a thermocouple to

A: Steal some of that pesky heat off the resistor.
B: convert that heat to electricity and recharge the battery.

At final was't solution about spur, ordered a new one because the old was too pulverized to work on

Last edit: by Dash_Crash.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.