Keyword

TOPIC:

my first restoration Toyota Celica GT-Four (TA01) 11 years 1 month ago #20217

A time ago I got from ebay a generic basher labeled as "Tamiya"

for like 140$ I got what resulted to be a TA01 frame with a mashed up BMW E31 body in pink.

The chassis was supposed to be new (in reality just the tub) all of the red parts were old and most of them cracked...

I plan to rebuild it as 58096 GT-FOUR (Because it's the only I like) Also, Carlos Sainz :whistle: .

This post would be the restoration process, but I got some doubts also...

The car would still be "original" if I keep this parts?

-Reedy motor. -Aluminium motor mount -Racing shocks -Electronic speed control

As far as I know those existed back on it's day

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Dash_Crash.

Preparing my first restoration (TA01) 11 years 1 month ago #20229

:y:
The TA01 is a good base for resto. Good chassis and not too expensive to restore in stock version. You can use TA02 red parts to, they are the same. Some parts are "fragile" but generally undestroyable... Good luck and picts are welcome ;)

Preparing my first restoration (TA01) 11 years 1 month ago #20235

nice TA/DF restorations are always nice to watch.
post some pictures how the car looked like when you got it.

if you are looking for a good adress for new parts, in Europe Seidel and Tamico got good prices.
otherwise a lot of members on here can help you out too.

Last edit: by waterbok.

Preparing my first restoration (TA01) 11 years 1 month ago #20248

Original state can't be, before I through picturing it I applied the first TLC layer

The front spoiler is seriously cracked, besides it shows 4 holes for attaching a weird non-original spoiler. Also notice the "Tokio-cr4p" style... here I decided to replace this lexan Totally Lost Cause...

The mechanics, notice the non-original motor and dampers.

Looking the Tamiya assembly guide I seen that this vehicle originally had mechanical speed regulator, and plastic oil dampers. Because I'm in budget I'l just swap the dampers with the ones equipped on a XB red Pajero that seem to be the same ones, and because I got some spare servos I'l install again the mechanic speed regulator, also I'l change the RX with an age accurate futaba one.

Question: The gear boxes are literally flooded with a gray greasy stuff, how I can clean those parts?

Preparing my first restoration (TA01) 11 years 1 month ago #20249

- leave the shocks they cant be worse than the XB ones (xb are probably friction only)
- grey grease in the rear gearbox, you probably still have the aluminium gears, replace them with the full plastic TA gearset (50529) and get an RRP steel pinion, you dont want to stay age accurate there. ;)

Preparing my first restoration (TA01) 11 years 1 month ago #20253

Checked, my pajero XB got hydraulic shocks (The same mold than ta01)

About gears, all of them are plastic, except a metal gear (no pun) meshing the rear diff, and swimming in grey grase (petroleum based, so, bad for plastic, that explains the derelict condition of red parts)

Preparing my first restoration (TA01) 11 years 1 month ago #20255

One piece spur and an aluminium idler... isn't that a Top Force setup? :huh:
I love a nice TA01 so I don't wanna be a downer but the chassis should be grey in order to be fully original.
This is probably a reissued DF-01 (Manta Ray) tub...
Not a big deal of course, especially for a runner.

Preparing my first restoration (TA01) 11 years 1 month ago #20257

Not usually my sort of thing, but I actually quite like that "Tokyo drift" type paintjob.
From the pics it looks quite well done too

Preparing my first restoration (TA01) 11 years 1 month ago #20261

One piece spur and an aluminium idler... isn't that a Top Force setup? :huh:
I love a nice TA01 so I don't wanna be a downer but the chassis should be grey in order to be fully original.
This is probably a reissued DF-01 (Manta Ray) tub...
Not a big deal of course, especially for a runner.

The tub Is gray, (less black than black parts) , browsed the celica manual and says nothing about the idler material, I seen the gears are quite cheap, so perhaps I'l get a set and put them all new...

Eddrick, the paint is effectively well applied, but the tokio drift style summed up to the "bean curd" kanji stickers... Aren't my thing. And as I pointed, front spoiler is demolished, photo shows electric tape covering it.

Preparing my first restoration (TA01) 11 years 1 month ago #20262

The tub Is gray

Must not show well on the picture then. :y:

If you want to run it, it's best to put a full plastic TA02 gear set in it...
And a hard steel pinion, like waterbok mentioned.
The original setup'll leave a lot of aluminium residu in the gearbox over time.

:S
The following user(s) Liked this: Dash_Crash

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.