Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26553

• dreadly
  • dreadly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
I have had this KBF body hanging around the garage for a while and it is in fairly good nick but it does have some damage to the front, including a little bit that is missing.
I have seen some quality repairs on here very similar, could somebody just outline the stages of the repair process and what I would need to do and what materials I would need? Many thanks.

Piccy slideshow ---> KBF Body Slideshow

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26558

HI!... I would just buy a new one off of Ebay. The time and materials your going to need to fix that will be equal if not more than a new body/decals. IMO.
The following user(s) Liked this: dreadly

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26560

Hi dreadly,
I tend to agree with The H.P Freak in this case. Your body has quite a lot of damage in the front, where the bonnet is double curved. making that curve nice again would be tricky.

But, if Jonny Retro thinks otherwise, I am all ears :cheer:

-Lars
Signature now gets correct formatting if you edit it in your Profile. Use normal BBcode if you want.
www.tamiyabase.com was formatted automatically.

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26564

• dreadly
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

Hi dreadly,
I tend to agree with The H.P Freak in this case. Your body has quite a lot of damage in the front, where the bonnet is double curved. making that curve nice again would be tricky.

But, if Jonny Retro thinks otherwise, I am all ears :cheer:

-Lars

Not what I wanted to hear :( But thanks.. :dry: I have a very small budget on this one. Jonny? Maybe he wants to buy it :lol:

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26565

Yes unless it's about you adding to you skills this would be quite a task :blink: If by chance you have or could find the or at least some of the missing piece this would help dramatically :y: or Just have a go :)
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26583

Repairing it isn't a cheap option, I'd guesstimate 50+ GBP in materials - but there would be enough there to make lots of similar repairs ... how many hard bodies do you think you'll be restoring in the future?

I would be interested in it, but TBH it would have to be dirt cheap ;)

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26585

• dreadly
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

Repairing it isn't a cheap option, I'd guesstimate 50+ GBP in materials - but there would be enough there to make lots of similar repairs ... how many hard bodies do you think you'll be restoring in the future?

I would be interested in it, but TBH it would have to be dirt cheap ;)

I really want to get into repairing these body's because I do have a few like this and I like to learn new skills. I also have three kids and maintain several bashers, so all repair skills are used! Also I cannot find another KBF body for less than 50ukp without accessories!
Money not such an issue if that will cover several repairs.

So... What do I need :)

Last edit: by dreadly.

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26587

Other option would be to find a kbf body with part of the right front missing. ;)

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26607

@ dreadly you asked for a "How to" - I don't know if I can be particularly specific, fundamentally what I'd do is:
- clean
- glue
- make new parts
- glue in
- reinforce
- fill
- sand
- prime
- sand/fill again
- prime again

... most of my builds seem to have needed some degree of fabrication and or repair, so you could read any of them for examples... I guess the most useful ones to look at would be the Spital Trial 12s, both of those had a corner missing, one of them I remade by male mirror image pieces of the other side, my Cheetah thread would be another obvious one to point you at.

The tricky bit as I see it would be to get the curve right on the leading edge/matched to the other side, it might be worth getting just some ABS/styrene sheet & seeing if you can make an infill bit nearly the right shape, getting that right will be key.

TBH, if you had sold it to me, I would have cheated & sawn the damaged bonnet (hood) out entirely & made my own firewall,slam panel, inner wings & a false floor, made & fitted a fake engine, strut tops, battery etc etc ... although anything that involves that much extra work can't really be called cheating ...look at Dasbeermeister's "Street Clod" thread (or my "Budget Bug" thread) for an example, possibly also my "scale accessories" thread - 95% of that was made "flat" without the use of exotic tools ...

My shopping list would be something like:

- Styrene sheet (1.5mm probably the most use, e.g ebay # 290918940635 )

- glue (Humbrol Poly glue, EMA Plastic Weld e.g. 181270641836, or bulk Dichloromethane)

- cutting mat/craftknife/steel rulers

- hot air gun to heat the styrene for bending (hairdriers aren't hot enough, any naked flame too hot and/or unpredictable) + various bits of hard round things (pipes etc)

- 2 part resin (e.g. Z-poxy finishing 251380405307 or araldite precision 251380405307 + fibreglass mat 121183127589

- masking tape, clamps, pegs etc

- hard/bulk filler ... I like Milliput white myself 121183127589

- wet & dry paper - various grades of a decent brand like Klingspor (120, 240, 400, 1200, 2000 or more)

- fine surface filler e.g. Squadron White Putty 130985779207

- plastic primer e.g. 181261617609

... but don't just buy the lot in one hit ;)

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26664

• dreadly
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Much appreciated, I will give it a go... :unsure:

Last edit: by dreadly. Reason: spelling...
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.