Last edit: by caprinut.

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 5 months ago #26722

• dreadly
  • dreadly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

I had the exact same damage to my body, I ended up making a trailer of the bed

Still have the chassis tho.. :silly:

Always looking for ORV chassis - I have around 30 of them :) - Wanna sell it to a good home ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 4 months ago #26956

• dreadly
  • dreadly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild

@ dreadly you asked for a "How to" - I don't know if I can be particularly specific, fundamentally what I'd do is:
- clean
- glue
- make new parts
- glue in
- reinforce
- fill
- sand
- prime
- sand/fill again
- prime again

... most of my builds seem to have needed some degree of fabrication and or repair, so you could read any of them for examples... I guess the most useful ones to look at would be the Spital Trial 12s, both of those had a corner missing, one of them I remade by male mirror image pieces of the other side, my Cheetah thread would be another obvious one to point you at.

The tricky bit as I see it would be to get the curve right on the leading edge/matched to the other side, it might be worth getting just some ABS/styrene sheet & seeing if you can make an infill bit nearly the right shape, getting that right will be key.

TBH, if you had sold it to me, I would have cheated & sawn the damaged bonnet (hood) out entirely & made my own firewall,slam panel, inner wings & a false floor, made & fitted a fake engine, strut tops, battery etc etc ... although anything that involves that much extra work can't really be called cheating ...look at Dasbeermeister's "Street Clod" thread (or my "Budget Bug" thread) for an example, possibly also my "scale accessories" thread - 95% of that was made "flat" without the use of exotic tools ...

My shopping list would be something like:

- Styrene sheet (1.5mm probably the most use, e.g ebay # 290918940635 )

- glue (Humbrol Poly glue, EMA Plastic Weld e.g. 181270641836, or bulk Dichloromethane)

- cutting mat/craftknife/steel rulers

- hot air gun to heat the styrene for bending (hairdriers aren't hot enough, any naked flame too hot and/or unpredictable) + various bits of hard round things (pipes etc)

- 2 part resin (e.g. Z-poxy finishing 251380405307 or araldite precision 251380405307 + fibreglass mat 121183127589

- masking tape, clamps, pegs etc

- hard/bulk filler ... I like Milliput white myself 121183127589

- wet & dry paper - various grades of a decent brand like Klingspor (120, 240, 400, 1200, 2000 or more)

- fine surface filler e.g. Squadron White Putty 130985779207

- plastic primer e.g. 181261617609

... but don't just buy the lot in one hit ;)

I have just been pricing this little lot up on e-bay :0 I think I will just work on making the basic repair first and see if it's worth continuing.

Re:Advice on KBF Body repair 10 years 3 months ago #27608

Not sure where you're up to with this but I have a decent KBF body needing far less in the way of repairs that you are welcome to? PM me if interested matey
The following user(s) Liked this: dreadly

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds