Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Steering servo locking at end of battery life? 9 years 10 months ago #29723

Hello Gents,

I have built a bunch of vintage Tamiya buggies recently (XLT, Monster Beetle, and Hornet) and purchased a Futaba 3PL 2.4Gz system w/ S3003 servo for the steering in an effort to drive these super fun vehicles. My issue is that towards the end of every run my servo locks out to the right? The battery still has approx 20% charge left in it but the car no longer steers. If I turn on/off it resents for a moment but then reverts back to locking it self out to the right?

Any suggestions or is this commonplace?

Thank you!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Steering servo locking at end of battery life? 9 years 10 months ago #29724

Welcome on the forum. :)
Are you using the MSCs or an ESC?

Last edit: by Edou.

Steering servo locking at end of battery life? 9 years 10 months ago #29725

Hello Edou,

I am using a TEU-101BK ESC from Tamiya...

Thanks!!!

Steering servo locking at end of battery life? 9 years 10 months ago #29728

Beforehand mentioning electronics is tricky business (and I'm definitely not the expert here), I'd think it's because the ESC doesn't have a low voltage cut off (usually 5.4V like on my LRP). If it comes under 4.8V, it would get to low for your servo.

:unsure:

Steering servo locking at end of battery life? 9 years 10 months ago #29729

Hello Edou,

I am using a TEU-101BK ESC from Tamiya...

Thanks!!!

There's your answer :) the TEU-101BK doesn't have a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) which means that if you are using the same battery to power the motor as the electrics, when the voltage drops below a certain level the electrics lock up :pinch: this was common when we didn't use a separate radio battery pack with MSC until the advent of the BEC ;) If you can, add the separate pack to test or try another esc with bec :P
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem mate :)
The following user(s) Liked this: jagrfest

Steering servo locking at end of battery life? 9 years 10 months ago #29732

Could it be more likely a built-in failsafe device in the receiver? - Chinese ones usually failsafe to full steering lock rather than shutting the throttle....

Try the servo on a different receiver & see if it stops doing it
The following user(s) Liked this: Jonny Retro, jagrfest

Steering servo locking at end of battery life? 9 years 10 months ago #29736

...Chinese ones usually failsafe to full steering lock rather than shutting the throttle....

The Chinese must be using a definition of "safe" that I wasn't previously aware of :blink:

:)
The following user(s) Liked this: jagrfest

Steering servo locking at end of battery life? 9 years 10 months ago #29739

andyaus, as soon as I read your post I had one those great "why didn't I think of that?" moments... :) I think I have a separate radio battery pack and I intend to try today. Will let you know the results.

Amazed at the quick feedback, much appreciated gents!

Steering servo locking at end of battery life? 9 years 10 months ago #29760

Hello Gents,

So you guys were totally correct as the TEU-101BK coming WITHOUT built in BEC was the main issue. I switched out to a TEU-105BK and everything is working perfect! Just opened up a TBLE-02S ESC, it's capable of both brushed and brushless...it also does not have a red receiver battery connector so I assume it has a built in BEC like the 105BK too... :)

Thanks again!

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.