Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What size pinion for Tamiya Hotshot with Tamiya Super Stock BZ Motor? ......... 2 years 4 months ago #69460

What size pinion for Tamiya Hotshot with Tamiya Super Stock BZ Motor? .........and should it be Steel or Alloy?

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What size pinion for Tamiya Hotshot with Tamiya Super Stock BZ Motor? ......... 2 years 4 months ago #69462

Stock pinions for the Hotshot are 13T & 15T 0.8mod, options are14, 16 & 17. The motor is only 23T, but I wouldn't go higher than the stock pinion teeth to start with.

So 13T, 14T or 15T depending on surface & how tight the corners are/how long the straights are, and how hot the motor gets. 

You want a one answer fits all answer, 15T.

A steel pinion -  if you can get it. The the problem is, most "0.8mod" steel pinions are 32 dp, which is NOT the same thing, even though superficially they mesh ok. They will be noisy at first (meaning improper mesh and lost power) until either it (or more likely the spur gear) wear to fit.

As the object of swapping from an aluminium pinion is to _avoid_ wear, using the tougher but wrong fit pinion would seem daft to me. I'd rather check and replace an alloy pinion than replace a spur gear myself. And use minimal grease - a blob 1/4 the size of an uncooked grain of rice is more than enough. 

:) 

The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.