Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 84264 Nissan R91CP Build 2 years 4 months ago #69980

The Nissan R91CP is my second car using the Tamiya Group C chassis after the Ferrari F40.  This was originally released as set 58109 in 1992, the same year the real car won the 24 hour Daytona race.  There were 9 models released on the Group C chassis in the '90s, then 4 of them were re-released in 2005 and 2006 with painted bodies.  This was not one of them.  The 84264 limited edition version of this kit, which is the one I have, came out in 2012 and did not come with a painted body.

The chassis was identical between all the different versions except that the colored parts varied in color.  The original R91CP used blue parts but the re-release uses black.  This chassis has minimal front suspension with just a tiny spring on the kingpin.  The rear axle floats on a pivot with a single CVA shock for support.  The motor pinion drives the spur on the rear axle directly, and there is an open differential inside the spur.  This car has very low ground clearance and uses foam tires.  In both cases this makes driving it up and down my road impractical.  The tires wear very quickly and there isn't enough suspension to soak up the bumps on the rough surface.  The body also overhangs the chassis greatly on all sides and has no support, so even a mild bump can bottom out the car and crack the body.  It is therefore best driven on a carefully groomed track or indoors on carpet.  It is fast though.  The kit comes with a Sport Tuned motor and those wide rear tires have plenty of traction so this thing really goes.  

As I've already mentioned on my F40 page, this is a fun but temperamental chassis really only suitable for prepared surfaces.  My main interest in this particular model was the body which looks incredible.  In fact, even though this was not sold with a painted body I managed to find one that someone had already painted and used that in lieu of trying to paint it myself.

I've built a model with a Group C chassis before and this one is identical so I've only written about the differences here.  Please see my  Ferrari F40 page for full Group C chassis build details.

Unlike the other Group C re-releases, this one came in a very plain box with just a sticker showing the artwork rather than a copy of the original box.  This at first made me think this was not the official packaging, but apparently it is.  The picture on the right shows the contents of the very full box.

There is very little to the Group C chassis so there aren't many parts.  This is a quick and simple build which is identical to my Ferrari F40 build apart from the body and wheels.
Here is the completed chassis both before and after the electronics were installed.  The spoiler is actually not part of the body kit but attaches separately to the rear of the chassis.

The kit came with a clear body but I found the paint scheme daunting.  Although Tamiya did not release a painted-body version of this kit, I found a body on eBay which a fan had painted and it was a good price so I bought it and decided to sell the original clear body to make most of the money back.  As you can see, the painter did a very good job.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, Jonny Retro, Manotas, stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by blakbird.

Blakbird's 84264 Nissan R91CP Build 2 years 4 months ago #69981

I still needed to prepare my own driver though.  This picture shows how the driver looks as it comes out of the box.

I trimmed the cockpit, painted it and the driver, and then attached the head and the velcro tape to hold it in.  As you can see, some precision painting is required to do this right.

The F40 didn't have a driver but I'm really glad this car does.  He really adds a lot to the realism.  I didn't realize until after I'd installed the tires that the wheels should really be painted silver.  Now I don't know what to do about it.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Blakbird's 84264 Nissan R91CP Build 2 years 4 months ago #69982

This is such a beautiful livery that I am afraid to drive this car much.  Like all my cars, it is still a runner though and it sure looks good going down the road.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001, Ducksnuts

Blakbird's 84264 Nissan R91CP Build 2 years 3 months ago #70012

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Hi Blakbird, what paint did you use on the cockpit set ?
Mainly the vac formed plastic bit ? Can you use XF paint or does it need to be Polycarbonate paint due to flex of the plastic ? Thanks Al
The following user(s) Liked this: jord001

Blakbird's 84264 Nissan R91CP Build 2 years 3 months ago #70014

I always used x and xf paints on my cockpits. And never had matter. They stick well.
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, jord001

Blakbird's 84264 Nissan R91CP Build 2 years 3 months ago #70016

I've found X/XF paints stick ok to PS paints, but not straight to polycarbonate & so use PS-1 White on the outside of thing like that as a primer :) 

I think PS-55 Flat Clear is the "official" one to use. 
The following user(s) Liked this: Al, jord001

Blakbird's 84264 Nissan R91CP Build 2 years 3 months ago #70022

• Al
  • Impressive Numbers
  • Impressive Numbers
Thanks for the replies Flo and Jonny, much appreciated, cheers.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Blakbird's 84264 Nissan R91CP Build 2 years 3 months ago #70055

Hi Blakbird, what paint did you use on the cockpit set ?
Mainly the vac formed plastic bit ? Can you use XF paint or does it need to be Polycarbonate paint due to flex of the plastic ? Thanks Al

I used standard X and XF brush paints.  I'm hoping the driver figure isn't going to see much flex.  So far so good.  The white vacuum formed plastic seems to hold paint better than clear polycarbonate.  Rougher surface.  I did use PS spray for the black.
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, jord001

Blakbird's 84264 Nissan R91CP Build 2 years 3 months ago #70103

Hi Blakbird,
Nice Nissan R91 you have there...I just love it.
This reminds me that i have to do mine aswell...

Anyway, really nice car you got there !
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.