Keyword

TOPIC:

Blakbird's 56013 M4 Sherman Build 2 years 3 months ago #70361

The tank may be done, but there are a lot of accessories to add.  The picture on the left shows the extra helmets, road wheels,gas cans, ammunition boxes, ration crates, and the original machine gun.  The picture on the right compares the original 1974 machine gun (olive drab) with the updated mold (steel gray).

On the left you can see the limited number of decals I added.  There are multiple marking options on the decal sheet.  I chose markings for an M4 from the 711th Independent Tank Battalion of the 10th Army because this unit was stationed in the Pacific theater and therefore seems the most likely to be a version that would have been available for the Japanese folks at Tamiya to have studied.  On the right you can see the accessories glued haphazardly to the back of the hull.

The kit comes with an external radio antenna (left) which is not needed with a modern 2.4 GHz radio.  Still, a real M4 is covered in various radio antennas so I trimmed the wire antenna short and inserted it as shown.  I have no idea if it is even vaguely correct, but it looks pretty good.  You can also see the installed machine gun.

This tiny 1/16 scale driver figure required seven different shades of paint, many of which I did not have available and had to acquire.  He came out pretty good except for my painting bane, the pupils.  On the right I've added a bit of subtle weathering to the turret including metal paint on the hatch springs and some rust wash around the rivets and welds.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Blakbird's 56013 M4 Sherman Build 2 years 3 months ago #70362

Here I've applied a green wash to the entire side of the hull to simulate moss and/or mildew which made sense to me for a Pacific front M4.  I also added rust and grease colored washes to the suspension and wheels as shown.  This doesn't look filthy like a tank that has been through the mud, but I think it adds some important realism.

On the right you can see my attempt at some rusty water running down the front of the hull and well as rust along the weld beads.  Whether or not it was successful is subjective.  I also added soot to the area around the exhaust in the rear, but you can't really see it in this dark picture (right).

Here I've added more rust and grease weathering to the rear accessories.  I like how it came out on the spare road wheels, looking like water has settled inside the rim and caused some rust.  More detail is shown on the right.

These two  pictures show the completed model with the lights turned on.  The lights are not particularly bright, but they show up well in a dark room.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, jord001

Blakbird's 56013 M4 Sherman Build 2 years 3 months ago #70363

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, jord001

Blakbird's 56013 M4 Sherman Build 2 years 3 months ago #70364

Attachments:

Blakbird's 56013 M4 Sherman Build 2 years 3 months ago #70365

Attachments:

Blakbird's 56013 M4 Sherman Build 2 years 3 months ago #70366

Here are some comparisons with the real tank.  There are so many variations of the M4 Sherman that it is very difficult to find one that is a perfect match.  Each matches several characteristics but not others.  This example has the right gun and plate hull, but the wrong suspension and track style.  It also has no side skirt at all so the side looks a little different.

This example has the right gun, plate hull, suspension, and tracks so it is pretty close.  The skirt doesn't match though since it has the vertical extensions to protect the tracks.

So close.  This example has the right suspension, hull, skirt, and tracks, but the wrong gun.  This appears to be the late model 76mm cannon.

This one might actually be right.  The gun, hull, tracks, suspension, and skirt all look right.

In case there was any question as to how much detail Tamiya put into their scale models, even the casting mark was represented.  Similar casting marks are present on the turret and hull.

Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63, Al

Blakbird's 56013 M4 Sherman Build 2 years 3 months ago #70368

There were a lot of evolutions on the sherman. Your pictures are fantastics .

Blakbird's 56013 M4 Sherman Build 2 years 3 months ago #70376

Really nice build !

Always a pleasure to see and read your articles !
Proud owner of the Bruiser Family

Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.