Keyword

TOPIC:

58059 - Porsche 959 1 year 4 weeks ago #74761

Just brainstorming here - Would it make sense for the new owner to consider some kind of internal coating or a sticky-back reinforcement mesh tape all along the inside of the body, to prevent further cracking and to have something for the current cracks to seat against? Kinda like how glass has a laminate film, so it can still break but not shatter into a million pieces?
IG_tamiyaddiction

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by GToddC5.

58059 - Porsche 959 1 year 4 weeks ago #74762

Another idea is to buy a tbg body and mciracing decals and keep all the plastic hardwares and keep this one to run.

58059 - Porsche 959 1 year 4 weeks ago #74763

I'm thinking of a scenario where it doesn't get run at all, just something to help with future deterioration of the thin blow molded plastic.
IG_tamiyaddiction

58059 - Porsche 959 1 year 4 weeks ago #74764

Or only keep it as it is with its history.

58059 - Porsche 959 1 year 4 weeks ago #74765

• EddyCH
  • EddyCH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
I think, adding any additional material inside will be difficult. And in the end, the body itself sill cracks while moving, so you can only keep the cracked parts together.

The only thing i can imagine, which could work: spray on several additional layers of a flexible coating (on the inside). The original body still can get cracks, but it hopefully gets kept together by the inside layers.
The following user(s) Liked this: GToddC5

Last edit: by EddyCH.

58059 - Porsche 959 1 year 4 weeks ago #74767

Sometimes, winning race cars are retired just as they finished, dirt, tire marks and all. Even the confetti is left on . I always liked that as it seemed more realistic and period correct.....
The following user(s) Liked this: Ducksnuts, EddyCH

58059 - Porsche 959 1 year 4 weeks ago #74775

I think, adding any additional material inside will be difficult. And in the end, the body itself sill cracks while moving, so you can only keep the cracked parts together.

The only thing i can imagine, which could work: spray on several additional layers of a flexible coating (on the inside). The original body still can get cracks, but it hopefully gets kept together by the inside layers.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking - like clear Flex Seal or Plasti-dip - even hand painted on just the repair areas maybe. I guess I was hoping some folks here had some experience with this scenario before, with delicate car bodies.
IG_tamiyaddiction

58059 - Porsche 959 1 year 4 weeks ago #74776

• EddyCH
  • EddyCH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Born to be Wild
  • Born to be Wild
Personally, I would look for something else than Plasti-Dip. Plasti-Dip is very flexible, but tensile strenght is very low. Unfortunately, I can't tell you, what could be better. It needs some strenght, but also some flexibility.

58059 - Porsche 959 1 year 3 weeks ago #74784

A small strip of race/gaffer/cloth tape on the inside....  Perfect stuff for repairing/strengthening body work.  My daughters Frog already has some 'reinforcing' in the front.

58059 - Porsche 959 1 year 2 weeks ago #74956

The Porsche survived it's journey to it's new home unscathed! This is not only my grail Tamiya model, but it also completes my collection of all the 580xx Tamiya models for 1986. I'm absolutely thrilled and plan to start a thread soon to showcase all 8 models as they currently sit, and then update it as I restore 5 of them and bring them back to box art. This Porsche will reside in a small section of models that have never been run, including the Road Wizard. 

IG_tamiyaddiction
Attachments:
The following user(s) Liked this: caprinut, stingray-63, Al, 1972 LeMansGT Jim, quattrokid, Ducksnuts, EddyCH

Last edit: by GToddC5.
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.