Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lego advices 3 years 3 months ago #63323

My parents offered me 2 big lego technic in the 90's. They are the 2 american trucks. The white and the black one with trailer and hélicoptère.
I saw some yers ago that there exist a lego glue. Should I rebuild them with gluing or keep them like that?
I have a cat style pneumatic charger to.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lego advices 3 years 3 months ago #63325

MEK is what the Lego builders are using.
Main part of MEK is Acetone.

In some contries like Norway, MEK is not available to the public, but Acetone is.
I have used Acetone in several styrene builds, but there is different quality of acetone out there, the one I used was not that strong.

Since Lego is mainly ABS, styrene glue should work, but test on some spare bits first to see if you get any damage.
And remember most of these solvents do fog up clear stuff.
For clear bits I recomend using canopy glue, it's white but dries clear and glues most materials.
Canopy glue is what the airplane boys use to secure the cockpit glass to the body of the airplane.
Any good hobby shop should carry that stuff, mine sells Zap Formula 560 Canopy Glue which I hace used several times.

Tamyia do carry differnt types of styrene glue, and also one that is specially made to bond styrene to ABS.
I have several types of styrene glue in my tool box, I can test on spare bits of Lego if you want me to?
The following user(s) Liked this: stingray-63

Last edit: by caprinut.

Lego advices 3 years 3 months ago #63326

clean them good before putting glue on to it, lego is always dirty from touching it :D

www.lego.com/en...0000007835

Lego advices 3 years 3 months ago #63329

Unless there's some reason they need to perform above and beyond the normal pressure fit, I don't think I'd glue them up as it would destroy any resale value - and the point of them being Lego IMO.

nb the chief ingredient of MEK is MEK - Methyl Ethylk Ketone. Acetone is something else entirely, with nothing like the adhesive power on styrene :)

Lego advices 3 years 3 months ago #63330

Thanks guys.

Lego advices 3 years 3 months ago #63333

Ahh, Jonny, that's how it was!
Sorry for missleading Flo..

Lego advices 3 years 3 months ago #63414

The sets you are referring to are actually from the Model Team line rather than Technic:
brickset.com/se...uper-Truck
brickset.com/se...d-Bird-Rig

Those are both really valuable models; I would not recommend gluing them. At its peak, my LEGO collection was in the millions of parts and I never had to glue anything.  The only reason to do so is if the public will be handling the model.

Lego advices 3 years 3 months ago #63418

Dude! The black one is mine but not the white. The white I have is only the truck and is like a kenworth.

Lego advices 3 years 3 months ago #63428

I guess you have the 5580 Flo?

www.bricklink.c...conly%22:0}

Lego advices 3 years 3 months ago #63430

I guess you have the 5580 Flo?

www.bricklink.c...conly%22:0}

Yes Richard it is :D

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.