Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Traxxas TRX3 mods 11 years 8 months ago #12433

Again not sure if this is the right place. Also, sorry about posting about non-Tamiya stuff here but you guys seem to be a lot more active than other forums I've been on.

As you may know I recently acquired a Traxxas TRX3.

I am now learning that it seems to be extremely rare. This may present a problem in getting parts, so I thought I would start this thread for future use.

For now, I am looking at the "dish" wheels on the TRX and finding them a little boring. I'd like something more interesting, like these from Carson Model Sport.

I understand that these will fit the DT-02 chassis with 12mm hex fitting. The TRX has a pin fitting (small pin through a cross-hole in the axle), so I am wondering if using a Tamiya hex adaptor will allow the rear wheels to fit? The main thing that concerns me is the length of the axle - i.e. if it is long enough to protrude out of the wheel as the TRX axles seem quite short.
Can anyone tell me the length of the Tamiya axle from the hole for the cross-pin to the end of the unthreaded part of the axle?

The old wheels off my Sand Scorcher fit on the front of the TRX3, so I am assuming these will too. Am I right?

It seems like most modern wheels have a hex fitting on the front AND rear, even for 2WD cars (i.e. they have bearings in the stub axle carriers). Again, am I right in this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Re: Traxxas TRX3 mods 11 years 8 months ago #12434

if you can fit a 12mm hex then it should work with those carson wheels (rear only front is bearing).
Those wheels are nice looking (come also in chrome)but I have to say that the plastic the rims are made off is not so strong and brittle, have experienced that they tend to break easely (on a DT02)

Re: Traxxas TRX3 mods 11 years 8 months ago #12435

Distance from the hole centre to the end of the thread is 13mm on the rear wheel axle on a DT02 chassis :)

Re: Traxxas TRX3 mods 11 years 8 months ago #12440

Again not sure if this is the right place. Also, sorry about posting about non-Tamiya stuff here but you guys seem to be a lot more active than other forums I've been on.

Forum section seems fine and we don't mind at all seeing some non-Tamiya here. :y:

I have those Carson wheels on my Grasshopper (have couple of spare sets too) and had a lot of fun with them.
Like wb said, the ones for the front have room for bearings and aren't 12mm hexed.
The rims are indeed a bit vulnerable and I managed to wear the tyres out in two months with parking lot bashing.
Well worth doing for the price tag they have though.

:cheer: :)

Last edit: by Edou.

Re: Traxxas TRX3 mods 11 years 8 months ago #12520

Distance from the hole centre to the end of the thread is 13mm on the rear wheel axle on a DT02 chassis :)

I have measured mine and the distance from the centre of the pin to the end of the thread (i.e. the place where the thread meets the larger, plain shaft) is only about 8mm.
---------
         ^^^^^]
  0           ]
         vvvvv]
---------
  <-8mm->
I wonder if stub axles from a later model might solve it... :unsure:

Most of the wheels I can find seem to have a 12mm hex fitting on the front too, even on 2WD types (except the Carson ones). Am I mistaken here?

Last edit: by Martin Bell.

Re: Traxxas TRX3 mods 11 years 8 months ago #12521

I have measured mine and the distance from the centre of the pin to the end of the thread (i.e. the place where the thread meets the larger, plain shaft) is only about 8mm.
---------
         ^^^^^]
  0           ]
         vvvvv]
---------
  <-8mm->

Ah, evidently some confusion about what "end of the thread" meant :whistle:

DT02 rear axles are quite different in construction:

:)
Attachments:

Re: Traxxas TRX3 mods 11 years 7 months ago #12538

Hmmm. Does that mean I will have to drill out the centre holes of the wheel to fit over the plain shaft?

How far does the thread protrude out of the DT02 wheel when fitted?

Re: Traxxas TRX3 mods 11 years 7 months ago #12541

How far does the thread protrude out of the DT02 wheel when fitted?

Enough for a nyloc nut, but no more than a gnat's beyond that :)

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.