Keyword
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32145

Hmmm... just wondering...

Where/how do I find a place that can fabricate small alu parts (think shock towers etc) in small quantities (think 5-10) from a drawing????

I have spent the last 24 hours twisting my brain about this, but have found no suitable solution.

Tom
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by TommieG.

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32146

Lazy? :whistle: :lol: :lol:

nothing a saw, file and some metal cds cant cure.

blood, sweat and tears. :evil:

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32147

Is that all just flat with holes or also third dimension?

These guys offer manufacturing.

www.ebay.de/itm...EBIDX%3AIT

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32149

Just lazy! :y:

No, seriously... I just don't have the tools nor the skills to do it myself.

The "Damper support" needs to be 3mm alu, and the "Linkage arm" is 5mm. The latter has a small 3D element as one of the holes should have a ball bearing (or a glide bearing of some sort). I believe it will be ok, even without the bearing....

I'll check out the link, even if I now see I should have attended more of the german classes at school :S

Thanks

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32151

do you have schools or companies near you where they teach metal working, maybe they can use it as an teaching project.
The following user(s) Liked this: Edou, stingray-63

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32152

do you have schools or companies near you where they teach metal working, maybe they can use it as an teaching project.

Yes, that might be a solution.....

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32157

Fibre-lyte.co.uk might be able to do them in carbon. And I know that the former owner of Tamiyagekken (Jules) had a small business where he would do similar things with a laser cutter.

Good idea about the school project, something similar has crossed my mind as well.

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32158

This is something that interests me too for my business. I often need brackets, fixtures and enclosures making in small quantities to go with products I sell, so hand finishing is not suitable (or cost-effective). I have struggled to find anyone to do this kind of thing.
You need to find a very small machine shop or even a guy with some machines in his garage - maybe a retired engineer or something - looking to make a bit of pocket money.

I did manage to get a couple of ally plates laser cut quite cheaply. If you can supply a CAD drawing it will save them time and hence you money. I suppose if you are prepared to wait until they can fit it in between jobs (or maybe on the edge of an existing job) it might save some cash too.

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32163

there are also several websites where you can put your projects up and shops and private people can bid/reply on it. But in my opinion it probably works best with something near or with the i know somebody who does that etc.

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32165

So I sent off an e-mail to a local school that has a study program called (roughly translated from norwegian) "Tech & industrial production", and asked them to forward the mail to someone who works with that program. I attached the drawings to the mail, and asked if this was something maybe a student could do to earn some extra cash before Christmas. A few hours later I received a reply from a very nice person, who said that they probably could do it, and asked how many of each part I wanted.

So this is looking good......

• Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.