Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32168

Do they per chance have an CNC lathe? :whistle:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 5 months ago #32169

Do they per chance have an CNC lathe? :whistle:

I have no idea.... :blush:

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 4 months ago #32458

Just got an e-mail saying my parts are ready! Going to pick them up tomorrow, and will be bringing cake to the "kids" who took the task upon them. Must keep them happy, so they might do it again sometime :whistle:

Re:Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 4 months ago #32459

Dont forget to check if they have a CNC lathe and mill and some handy programmer. ;-)
I do a fine applepie if I my say so.

Re:Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 4 months ago #32460

:-) :-) :-)

Re:Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 4 months ago #32463

Dont forget to check if they have a CNC lathe and mill and some handy programmer. ;-)
I do a fine applepie if I my say so.

I'll do that. :y:

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 4 months ago #32476

I just picked up the parts from a local tech/mech school. It wasn't exactly jewelers craftsmanship, but good enough for the purpose. A bit of polishing etc, and they will be great.

Maybe someone of you have wondered what the parts were for? Well, here's the answer:

It's a replica of this, the "Dirt Burners" monoshock unit for the Kyosho Scorpion/Beetle/Tomahawk.

Here's a test build of the unit (I'm waiting for the correct screws, nuts, washers and spacers):

And here I have put it on top of my rere Scorpion:

The plan is to build a Tomahawk with this monoshock unit.

I have also made a deal with them to replicate the CRP/RCH monoshock unit for the SRB's, as soon as someone who owns such a thing can make a blueprint of it.

Waterbok,
These parts were hand made, but YES they have a brand, spanking, shiny, new CNC mill! The only problem is that it's so brand, spanking, shiny, new, that no one knows how to operate it..... yet. I will be in touch with them. And BTW, yes that's one of the shocks I bought from you!
Attachments:

Last edit: by TommieG.

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 4 months ago #32480

Only a mill or maybe a lathe too? have some nice ideas for practicing. :whistle:

Looking sharp, maybe sand it with fine paper so its not so shiney B)

were did you get the alloy spring parts are those custommade?

Fabricating of aluminum parts 9 years 4 months ago #32482

Only a mill or maybe a lathe too? have some nice ideas for practicing. :whistle:

I believe it only was a mill, but this is not my area of expertice..... I couldn't see anything that resembled a advanced lathe, and he only spoke about (and showed me) this mill they had got a few months ago.

Looking sharp, maybe sand it with fine paper so its not so shiney B)

I have never worked with alu (or other metal for that matter), so what grade of paper do you suggest? I tried sanding a Hotshot II roof with 1200 grade paper (I believe it was), but that didn't come out fine at all :S I had 4 sets of the monoshock unit made, so I might just experiment a bit....

were did you get the alloy spring parts are those custommade?

The coilover parts are the original Kyosho parts made for those shocks. I found a source that had a few in stock a while ago, and bought a couple of sets, meant for two Kyosho Landjumps I almost got :cry:

I couldn't resist, so I tested it on the rere Scorpion, and it was a perfect fit. I still don't have all the hardware (bolts, nuts and spacers) as they are on their way from China. I just used what I had at hand, and yet again the gazillions of pistons from the Tamiya yellow shocks came to the rescue B) I mean, those things must be some of the most versatile parts I have :laugh:

One problem though..... The unit will interfere (just a tiny bit) with the radio gear tub, so that has to be modified. Not really a problem for me, as I'm planning to use it on a Tomahawk, and those don't have radio tubs, only a radio plate, not unlike the Super Champ. I will however need to modify the Tomahawk body.... To be used on the Kyosho Beetle, I believe that body as well will have to be modified.
Attachments:

Last edit: by TommieG.
  • Page:
Moderators: caprinutstingray-63AndyAus
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
Cookies are required to make this site work. If you continue to use this site you permit us to use cookies.